Hudson vs. Jenkins: Is it too soon to declare a winner?

Discussions

News: Hudson vs. Jenkins: Is it too soon to declare a winner?

1. The Jenkins community is promoting a number of bellwethers that would indicate that Hudson is losing the game when it comes to both mindshare and adoption. 85% of upgrades go to Jenkins. Jenkins GitHub repositories outnumber Hudson by a ratio of sixty to one. Jenkins 'ticket activity' is significantly higher than that of Hudson. "It all adds up to the fact that Jenkins is where the community is - they are committed and enthusiastic," says Steve Harris, CloudBees' SVP of Products, in his October 18th blog posting on the topic. "The numbers really speak for themselves."

But it's far too early to declare a winner in this debate. The Jenkins/Hudson split is only about six months old, and with Oracle and Eclipse behind Hudson, the Hudson horse is hardly even out of the gate. More time is definitely needed before any player is counted out of the continuous integration (CI) fight.

Steve Harris' October 18th Blog  
    Hudson plugin for Eclipse

Threaded Messages (7)

2. My company is still using Hudson 1.3xx and I don't think it will be upgraded soon. So Hudson 1.3xx is a winner here.

3. Hudson wins[ Go to top ]

My company is still using Hudson 1.3xx and I don't think it will be upgraded soon. So Hudson 1.3xx is a winner here.

... and in most companies ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle

4. Jenkins wins[ Go to top ]

Just not in any of the ones I've worked in ...

5. Jenkins[ Go to top ]

Some time it declared by us. Destoner, redler conveyor, screw conveyor

6. Hudson wins[ Go to top ]

My company is still using Hudson 1.3xx and I don't think it will be upgraded soon. So Hudson 1.3xx is a winner here.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle

yes, lazy ones ;-)

7. Jenkins is basically just continuing what they did when they where called Hudson. Lots and lots of releases with small fixes and improvements here and there.

The new Hudson (over at Eclipse.org) is focusing on getting the Maven build story improved. Over time those improvements may become so compelling that a switch to that could be relevant. I know it is something I will be evaluating from time to time.

8. While I haven't used Jenkins, I can say that the Maven 3 support in the last version of Hudson is excellent and much improved over Maven 2 - definitely worth looking at.