During the past few years, I've been hearing about "cloud" services more and more. Initially I wasn't really curious to try them out. But a few months (a year?) back, I decided to see what it was all about. I have been involved with Java EE development for more than 7 years now, so I decided to see what it takes to deploy my Java EE application to the cloud. I set out looking for documentation and other usual blog articles and such.

At that point, whichever cloud services I thought of trying out, would require me to provide my credit card details even to try out a trial application. I wasn't too keen to provide my credit card details just to try out a few applications of mine. So I kind of gave up on trying out my applications on cloud, although I kept reading about what other developers were doing to deploy their applications on cloud.

At about the same time, I came across this elaborate writeup on how one of the developers had setup his application involving Weld and JSF, on Google App Engine - Part1, Part2. The blog was well written and explained what was required to get your Java EE application up and running on a cloud service. But the important piece of information in those articles was that, users who had an application which was implemented as per Java EE standards (to be portable) had to change many of the application parts just to get them running on cloud. This was because many of the Java EE technologies weren't supported by the cloud service provider. This didn't look appealing to me. After all, what would I gain by doing that. So at that point, I as a Java EE developer, wasn't too interested in experimenting with deploying my application on cloud.

Read the rest of the article at the following URL:

Java Code Geeks: OpenShift Express: Deploy a Java EE application (with AS7 support)