Discussions

News: 20 Database Design Best Practices

1. 20 Database Design Best Practices (5 messages)

2. Use well defined and consistent names for tables and columns (e.g. School, StudentCourse, CourseID ...).
  3. Use singular for table names (i.e. use StudentCourse instead of StudentCourses). Table represents a collection of entities, there is no need for plural names.
  4. Don’t use spaces for table names. Otherwise you will have to use ‘{‘, ‘[‘, ‘“’ etc. characters to define tables (i.e. for accesing table Student Course you'll write “Student Course”. StudentCourse is much better).
  5. Don’t use unnecessary prefixes or suffixes for table names (i.e. use School instead of TblSchool, SchoolTable etc.).
  6. Keep passwords as encrypted for security. Decrypt them in application when required.

Read the rest of the article at the following URL:

Java Code Geeks: 20 Database Design Best Practices

Threaded Messages (5)

• Tosh[ Go to top ]

Can we ban any articles from http://www.javacodegeeks.com its all obvious tosh.  The site only exists to generate advertising revenue.  I wince everytime i'm redirected to this god aweful site.

• Tosh[ Go to top ]

Can we ban any articles from http://www.javacodegeeks.com its all obvious tosh.

+1

Dog slow, crap content, and why TSS allows crossposting of their articles to a "rival" site, drawing away readers, is beyond comprehension. Maybe symptomatic of the level that TSS has fallen to also

• Here's a Best Practice.[ Go to top ]

Stop using "Best Practice" since you build a community of thoughtless morons that will walk around the office chanting "It's a best partice to do ..."

• Keep passwords as encrypted for security. Decrypt them in application when required.

As a user, I would like my password one-way hashed, instead of encrypted in a decryptable fashion.

• Title says it all.  TheServerSide.com sucks.  I'm reading the page, but it says "404".  Oops.  Guess you guys made a big boo-boo.  Try again.