Well, I know REST is an old topic, you find thousands of pages talking about it, so why another one?

Well, this post is about using Spring 3.1, some of it’s new features to accomplish at least part of the Hypermedia As The Engine Of Application State Architectural style. If you follow me till the end of this post, you’ll learn:

• How to setup a Spring 3.1 project for REST endpoints without using 1 single XML file
  • Use SpringData mongodb as the persistence engine
  • Use Spring new Caching Feature for the caching of ETags
  • Use Spring AOP to add specific Headers to the Response of your REST endpoint
  • Some of my thoughts on REST in real world 

I’ve being developing REST services for a while now, I would guess that my first REST endpoint dates back to 2008. But it occurs to me, that most of them (if not all) where not truly REST services as it is defined by . I was pretty much just sending JSON/XML over HTTP using the support for HTTP methods. That’s what most people is doing, and it’s what Jim Webber et al, call as Level two services on their great book Rest in practice (If you want to read one book on REST, that’s the one).

http://blog.furiousbob.com/2011/12/06/hateoas-restful-services-using-spring-3-1/

Edited by: Cameron McKenzie on Feb 13, 2012 11:54 AM