Liferay Portal 6.1: Setting the Standard for Enterprise Portal Offerings

Discussions

News: Liferay Portal 6.1: Setting the Standard for Enterprise Portal Offerings

1. Yesterday, Liferay announced general availability of Liferay Portal 6.1 Enterprise Edition. Liferay has two offerings in the portal market, Liferay Portal CE and Liferay Portal EE, with the CE version being available from SourceForge, and the EE version coming with a price tag.

What are the new features of Liferay 6.1? The listing below quotes the items that were promoted in the press release. But for my money, the real noteworthy feature of Liferay Portal is how easy it is to install, and how feature full the product is once you get it installed and configured.

The CE version is only about 250 megs in size. Compare that to WebSphere Portal offerings that are about 25 CDs in size. And the installation process is little more than a double-click if you’ve got a JRE installed and a JAVA_HOME configured. I’ve put together two videos, both of which are less than ten minutes in length. The first one shows you just how easy it is to download and install Liferay 6.1 CE, and the second goes over a few of my favorite out-of-the-box features that are packed inside of the Liferay install.

Liferay 6.1 CE: Simplifying the Portal Experience

Five Neat Things You Can Do with Liferay Out of the Box

Liferay Portal 6.1 EE Press Release

Speaking of the Liferay 6.1 EE press release, here are some of the new features that were highlighted in the press release:

·    New Liferay Sync: Document sharing becomes a seamless experience with online and offline synchronization to desktop and mobile devices.

·    Third-party Integration: Documents can be accessed in one place through enterprise integration with Documentum, SharePoint, and other popular third-party CMIS repositories. 

·    Advanced Content Management: Drag-and-drop document and media libraries centralize and simplify content management.

·    Dynamic Video and File Previews: Users can preview documents, images and videos before downloading them.

·    User Customizable Sites: Administrators can now designate certain pages and sections of a page to be personalized by users.

·    Multiple Website Versions: Multiple site versions can be edited simultaneously and scheduled for publication.

·    Affiliated Sites Management: Liferay pages and websites maintain links to their original site templates, making it easier to propagate changes to associated sites and pages.  

·    New Workflow and Forms Designers: Business users can use these powerful visual editors to create web forms and workflows interactively in the browser.

·    User Data Lists: Users can create custom lists online that can be tied to form submissions to model business processes such as inventory management, vacation requests, or sales order submissions.

·    Advanced Workflow: Workflow processes can be applied to documents to enhance and automate approval and editing processes.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. I've attended a few events on Liferay and it's hard not to be impressed. Liferay does provide a lot of 'out-of-the-box' functionality as well as providing a lot of integration points - both of which are a plus - if you need either. To me Liferay has the ability to be used in a number of ways whether that be for providing and managing an intranet with social features, as a hosting platform for applications deployed as portlets or as a central point of IT integration - it seems to more and more to intrude on the ground traditionally held by solutions like SharePoint. And that is maybe something the Liferay folks need to work on. Yes it can do a lot, yes it easy to deploy and get started. But the biggest issue I can see for greater adoption is that because of the breadth of functionality and options it has, Liferay sometimes seems more complex that it is. Smaller projects that might benefit from some of the less glamorous features: security, user admin, personalisation, incremental deployments through the portal model etc don't evaluate it because it is SO enterprise looking. For a long time I wouldn't look at anything with Portal in its description. Liferay although not perfect has changed my opinion on that considerably. Portal may no longer be a swear word.
  3. No[ Go to top ]

Don't kid yourself.  "Portal" is still a dirty word.  I couldn't get away from the LR project I was on fast enough. Spend any time developing custom portlets and you'll wish you'd used something Servlet based or even better, something more lightweight like Play.

4. No[ Go to top ]

Play does look interesting and I have to admit to still being a Liferay 'newbie' so maybe I haven't hit the hurdles yet that you have and yes portlet development is different from servlet based.

But so what - doing messaging apps is different from servlet based dev or a miriade of other types of development. I like the look of Liferay because it looks like, if used properly and for the right project/requirements, it could pay off. I'm sure in lots of cases it may not be right for a project.

I'm still trying to assess the pluses and minuses of using Liferay, and for that matter the portlet model, but for now it is definitely an overall plus.

5. Liferay code base is poor[ Go to top ]

The quality of the code in liferay is what is my biggest concerns. All the demo's , presentation and everythng looks good , however when you start looking at their code base it is far from being upto the mark and more close to amateurish.

I have been working on liferay 6 for over an year and coded extensively JSR 286 portlets and while debugging for an issue with their Inter portlet communication was an eye opener. I believe that liferay guys need to recode their product, till now what they have done is build on top of something which is not working for them and the code quality looks very poor.

If you wonder why their user prefernce setup (individual vs group based vs administrator) is so complex if you have done any setup using liferay-portlet.xml for a portlet, have a look at their implementation class . It is full of if else else if logic which makes it hard for them to implement something sensible unless they recode their product.

I think from a perspective of content management they have some future, but from a perspective of custom development or enterprise portal development, I dont think the code base will work well in the future.

6. Liferay code base is poor[ Go to top ]

We are a system integrator and we have done over 100 enterprise implementations using various versions of Liferay, we started with 4.x and now started deploying 6.1EE. The level of customization that is possible using Liferay is nowhere close to what you can do with proprietary or other portal solutions.

We have been working on Liferay over 5 years and continues to see more enterprise implementations with lot of rich features and integrations with other enterprise applications.

have you looked into 6.1 EE source code? it is a major rewrite with lot of new features including what have been highlighted in the article.

7. Liferay code base is far from poor![ Go to top ]

We have been delivering large scale enterprise portal projects based on Liferay since 2006 and I think the code base is far from poor.  The product and source code has evolved and matured over time into a market leader and Liferay has received rave reviews from industry analysts including being named a Leader in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portals in Gartner’s 2010 and 2011 report.  Maybe a class or two could use a little refactoring of an if-then-else statement but to classify the entire code base as poor, amaturish and not able to work well in the future is a harsh opinion.  I think Liferay is the best portal product available and is based on a solid, extensible, well designed code base.

8. Liferay code base is poor[ Go to top ]

I've now worked for 2 different Liferay implementation partners, and this has been a game changer as far as being able to provide an easily deployable solution which can be left in the customers hands for continuous changes.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and perhaps there might have been a lack of understanding of the tool/environment. 

You should really check out 6.1EE.  It's prettty much a brand new product, but all sorts of new features and a lot less buggy.  They've got a great code screening process in place, and you'll see some impressive changes to come.