Discussions

News: When creating the ultimate developer image, which Java tools get included?

1. About once a year, I recreate a computer image that I will inevitably reinstall time and time again, depending upon whether I'm starting a new project, playing around with a new technology, or just trying to bring my environment back to something that is clean and fresh.

Every time I do this, I sit there and think about the key pieces of software that I need. There's the standard stuff, like the office suite (I'm still installing an old copy Office 2000 which is more than sufficient). And you also need standard stuff like FoxIt reader so you don't mistakenly install something awful like Adobe reader when someone sends you a pdf. But in the Java centric universe, what tools, utilities and perhaps even pieces of collaboration software do you install to make yourself productive?

parksyrecreation.com put together a list of 'favorite Java tools.' On the list we see the standard stuff:

• Maven
    • Sonar
    • MyBatis
    • IntelliJ and Eclipse
    • Google CodePro Analytix

I think this list is a good start. But it's far from a complete developers PC. One glaring omission to me is JRebel. I never do any development with JRebel installed. What else do you need installed?

Personally, I always end up installing WinMerge. I know there are more expensive tools for comparing documents, but I find that this tool is just so fast and easy, that when I've got conflicting files, it's a Godsend for sorting out changes and merging out of sync documents.

I also need Chrome and Firefox, and specifically, Firefox with the developer updates that allow you to troubleshoot JavaScript and various web page errors.

Also, I can install whatever collaboration tool a given project needs, but I'll be darned if I don't have Dropbox installed. It's a necessity for sharing synchronized files.

Heh...I also always forget to install WS_FTP, and every time I start using a new image, I have to update an old website and need to find where I kept my old WS_FTP program. 

Collaboration Tools Anyone?

I'm also curious about collaboration tools? As was mentioned, Dropbox is the only collaboration tool I think a team needs, but others disagree. Is there a killer app for enterprise Java developers in the 'collaobration tools' space?

So, what else? I'm about to spend the weekend optimizing a new image. What are the tools that will make this next image the image to end all images?

The Incredibles: Some of my favorite Java tools.

2. stuffs[ Go to top ]

svn, git, skype, meld

3. Vim, Winmerge, Google Chrome, Fiddler, YSlow, Squirrel SQL (or Oracle Sql developer if doing only Oracle stuff), Mysql, 7zip.

4. Ant is still a must-have. As is TortoiseSVN - not everything that's under source control is worked on in an IDE.

5. Collaboration Tools Anyone?[ Go to top ]

Collaborating models: Visual Paradigm For the rest: YourKit Java Profiler, TortoiseSVN, Process Explorer (Sysinternals), TextPad/PSPad, GIMP, VMWare, JD-GUI, WinRAR, TreeSize.
  6. Why are you on windows?

Anyway, I'd like to add smartgit to the mix. I think it's the best GUI for git that I've come across.

7. My Images[ Go to top ]

My primary machine is on OSX but I do keep a lot of VMs around.  I've not set up an image per se, but here is my standard stack for different OSes

OSX:

• eclipse + a lot of plugins
    • jconsole
    • yourkit java profilier
    • textmate
    • navicat
    • mysql
    • postgresql
    • wireshark
    • firefox and firebug and other debugging tools

I'll update more as I think of them.

8. Notepad++[ Go to top ]

I just skim through ninite.com for a couple of key things, but regardless of the purpose (and assuming windows) it will include notepad++, tortoisesvn and chrome.

9. A Windows developer VM[ Go to top ]

Lately my Windows developer VM look something like this:

• Eclipse(Helios, Indigo) / plugins: SubClipse, m2e, CheckStyle, JAutoDoc, FindBugs; custom formatter, code templates.
    • Notepad++
    • 7Zip
    • TortoiseSVN
    • Cygwin (mostly for tail and grep)
    • Firefox
    • WireShark (and powershell route modications to capture localhost)
    • portable apps (Space Sniffer, FastStone Capture, FileZilla)
    • SoapUI, HermesJMS, XMLSpy
    • Open Office
    • Adobe Reader
    • Windows telnet enabled
    • Spark IM
  10. Lately my Windows developer VM look something like this:

• Eclipse(Helios, Indigo) / plugins: SubClipse, m2e, CheckStyle, JAutoDoc, FindBugs; custom formatter, code templates.
    • Notepad++
    • 7Zip
    • TortoiseSVN
    • Cygwin (mostly for tail and grep)
    • Firefox
    • WireShark (and at the time, powershell route mofications to capture localhost)
    • portable apps (Space Sniffer, FastStone Capture, FileZilla)
    • SoapUI, HermesJMS, XMLSpy
    • Open Office
    • Adobe Reader
    • Windows telnet enabled
    • Spark IM
  11. My favorite tools[ Go to top ]

Must have tools: Total Commander, Evernote, Dropbox, Klipfolio.

Should have tools: Notepad++, Intellij, Lingoes, Logmein...