It is time to share another interesting story with you and I am sure most of you readers out there who are application owners or responsible for operating web applications can relate to. We recently changed our authentication services for most of our production websites. The website that I am responsible for is the Compuware APM Community. A change in authentication is critical – that’s why we have tested this change on our staging system before rolling it out into production. Everything looked good. Once deployed to our production site we wanted to make sure that we didn’t miss anything. Turns out we did miss a thing that impacted several users of specific user groups now no longer being able to access certain content.

Let me walk you through the 5 minutes it took me to identify the problem, identify the impact and provide enough information to our operations department to fix the problem.

Read the full article ...