Microsoft .NET vs. J2EE how do they stack up?

Discussions

News: Microsoft .NET vs. J2EE how do they stack up?

1. Microsoft's J2EE competitor the .NET platform is still in it's early stages of development. What exactly is the .NET platform? How does the .NET architecture measure up against J2EE? What can we learn from the .NET architecture about pushing the envelope of enterprise software development?

Find out from this article from java.Oreilly.com.
    News article from application-servers.com.
  2. the .net platform will be a partially rebadged / partially all-new way of developing software within the clutches of MS.

My initial reaction to c# was unfair I reckon, as I've now actually read all their docs and see no reason for it to be anything other that one of the biggest (and best) languages for next few years - personally I love java, but I'm gonna kick off on c# as soon as they release the beta compiler. The reusability and cross-language development code is a neat idea, too.

I like it. But I still like java!. I think the biggie will be the performance of c# initially though.
  3. some time on...

well, c# hasn't impressed me. ho-hum
  4. .NET and J2EE are not comparable. .NET is just a
    subset of J2EE (like C for C++). Each time somebody compare
    this to approach, Microsoft wins a battle.

5. I have tried to compile some of my thoughts from my experience in implementing .Net and Java solutions. Please read the same <href a="herehttp://ramya.bhaavana.net/krishna/?p=12">here>.

Krishna
  6. I have tried to compile some of my thoughts from my experience in implementing .Net and Java solutions. Please read the same here.

Krishna
  7. .NET is the next big gadget in MS armoury. MS will certainly have the late comer disadvantage compared to J2EE. Here are some comments about .NET ...

.NET is primarily about taking the guck out of COM and make it more like JavaBeans. No more registry, IUnknown, IDispatch, etc. Every object in a .NET language is a COM component.

The clear track MS is taking is to say "Ok, everyone who hates Java,come over here! You can use your language AND program to Windows just as fast as in C++!" The message is cross-language instead of cross-platform. The message is "you can still talk to other platforms because of SOAP".

But, you never know 'cos history repeats and whatever Windows did to Mac ... Any comments???
  8. Apples vs Oranges[ Go to top ]

I don't place Microsoft ".NET" in the same category as J2EE.
    While I am a Java developer, I have been watching Microsoft's developments from the sidelines. ".NET" is a proprietary repackaging of existing server-side technology with a shiny new box. Unfortunately IMHO the only reason to write proprietary Win32 apps is for client side applications that demand considerable integration with Windows. ".NET" does not fill this need, rather it is another attempt by Microsoft to gain control of the server. Your apps will run on any client, if they run on a Microsoft server.

While I can't imagine anyone choosing to run an important business server on Win32, they do have that choice with J2EE. The customer can pick and choose the hardware/OS/software combination that best fits their needs and are free to upgrade as neccessary with no code changes. This is extremely powerful and I am sorry to see that a lot of people just don't get it. I suppose the software industry is still stuck in the "I'll give the customer what I want, when I want" mode, but that won't last for long. Don't let Microsoft fool you with their talk of "cross platform support"... there is an old saying "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it".

While I'm sure ".NET" will be an improvement on existing APIs, it will no doubt still be extremely messy. I recommend to anyone who is seriouslying considering ".NET" to do a fair amount of research into failed Microsoft based projects. IMHO it is a pretty common theme and many people have been forced to ditch Win32 after investing millions of dollars into a blackhole project. On the other hand J2EE is very well designed and an excellent model all around.
  9. Even apples and oranges have something in common and I agree there are lots of differences.. .NET and J2EE are not entirely different. There are lots of similarities too ... Let's list them and perform a candid comparison of the two. Can we list the analogous concepts in both ... Please add to the list given here ...

<SIMILARITIES>
    (1) Both leverage XML. Both are backing and using XML.
    (2) Both have notification and messaging mechanisms.
    (3) C# is to .NET as Java is for J2EE.
    (4) JSP:J2EE :: ASP+ : J2EE.

</SIMILARITIES>

<DIFFERENCES>
    (1) Correct me if I am wrong, J2EE is specification while .NET will be a set of prepackaged product(s).
    (2) Transactions - What is the equivalent of JTS and JTA in .NET.
    (2) .NET talks about "natural interface". speech, vision, handwriting and natural-language ... Correct me if there is any similarity in J2EE.
    (3) Personalization - does J2EE talk about it?
    (4) Authentication - is it there in J2EE?
    </DIFFERENCES>
  10. Whats that comment on transactions JTA/JTS. What J2EE servers implement XA etc. Only a handful. MTS (i.e. .NET shipping today) has had XA support for the last 2 years.

What they don't have is OTS support but you can use a commerical OTS ORB with MTS, i.e. Orbix OTS.
  11. (1) Both leverage XML. Both are backing and using XML.

Sorry, I've missed something, where is the XML in J2EE? Do you mean Apache Xerces (nee IBM xml4j)? Is that now part of J2EE? The only XML I know of in J2EE is the XML deployment descriptors...(obviously not what you intend by "leveraging XML")?

12. Might Be of interest - J2EE vs M$ .NET