Read properties file from outside the .war file

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Read properties file from outside the .war file

1. Hello all,

I have a problem reading properties file. I placed .war file in the webapps folder of tomcat container and my properties file is outside the .war file. How can I read the properties file inside war file? 

I want to place both properties and .war files in the same folder. How can I do this? Or is there any other alternative?

Thank you all in advance.

2. For my part I usually pass the reference to a properties file (via a -D... switch) which then contains all external references I need. That file can also contain deployment-specific information such as database references, IP addresses... I then access that file either using a Properties object in my code or a PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer when using Spring.

I'm not aware of any mean to access a file outside the war (appart from making dangerours assumptions as to what is the current working directory). If someone has a genereal answer to this I'd be glad to hear it.

Hope this will help you.

3. I hope it's not too late to clarify this.

you can try to load your properties file when servlet context being initialized.

For example: in web.xml code as below.

<servlet>

<servlet-name>AppContextInitializerServlet</servlet-name>

<display-name>AppContextInitializer</display-name>

<servlet-class>xx.xx.xx. AppContextInitializerServlet</servlet-class>

<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>

</servlet>

<servlet-mapping>

<servlet-name>AppContextInitializerServlet</servlet-name>

<url-pattern>/initializer</url-pattern>

</servlet-mapping>

Create an AppContextInitializerServlet extend HTTP servlet.

In Init() method try to load all your properties file using system.getProperty(“c:\\system
    file.properties”);

pls check and let me know whether this helps.

Regards,

Gani.