Discussions

TSS feedback: Should I Learn EJBs?

1. Should I Learn EJBs? (4 messages)

I put up this post before, but it disappeared.

Maybe the moderator thought I was trolling and deleted it. I can appreciate that as I posted this question to comp.lang.java.advocacy and got mostly MS .net advertisements as a reply. That forum is ovarian by fudsters.

Anyway, this is an honest question so please don't take it down.

I'm a junior server side java programmer trying to decide if I should bother learning EJB.

Most of the java job advertisements in my area are asking for EJB/j2ee & bea web logic.

Even so if EJB is a lot of effort for few results I would rather spend my time looking for a java job that does not require it versus spending my time at a job wrestling with another enterprise tool that produces more frustration then results.

So, my question......if I have qualified it enough to avoid having it deleted.

Of people out there who have *****actually used EJBs****** would you say:

1. That EJBs have helped you make a more stable, robust enterprise application?
    2. That EJBS produce fast running web sites?
    3. That using EJBS have helped you speed up you development time or at least didn't take significantly longer/?
    4. Has EJBs made your development easier or did they at least not add a new load to the process.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Should I Learn EJBs?[ Go to top ]

Don't be intimidated by EJB. I suggest that you learn to use Session beans to replace a lot of the session management
    that you may be doing with the servlet session. This is the most useful aspect of EJB. Also, I think it's best to avoid Entity beans until you have a firm grasp of EJB and more importantly, a good reason to use the entity bean.

What do you mean by "That forum is ovarian by fudsters."?
  3. Should I Learn EJBs?[ Go to top ]

I think he means "overrun by FUDsters".
  4. Should I Learn EJBs?[ Go to top ]

I got another opinin that EJB does all of the wonderful things I asked about except for one.....it makes sites slower.

Thanks for the tip. I did not know that you could get into just session beans without signing on board for the whole deal. Maybe that will ameliorate the speed issues.

Its not intimidation for me at this point, its time management. I just don't want to spend time learning something that doesn't deliever better web sites, even if it delivers me a better job. I've been there before. I've huffed, puffed, learned, struggled, and built only to get something I am not proud of.

BTW. "ovarion with fudsters" was a freudian slip.

I meant to say overrun with fudsters.

If you ask a question about Java in comp.lang.java.advocacy these days about 60% of the replies you will get will be an advertisement for MS technology.

5. Should I Learn EJBs?[ Go to top ]

Jeff gives some sound advice. Although, I wouldn't use entity beans under any circumstances. To put it plainly... they suck.

To answer your questions:

1. No
    2. Yes -- If you run them on a Cray
    3. They take signifigantly longer.
    4. Again, they take longer and add more to the process.

My suggestion to you would be to not use Entity Beans, and to lightly use abstract/generic Session Beans. Use simple data objects. Go get them as you need them. Don't get all fancy.

Let the session bean(s) handle your transaction management. Use the connection pooling of your application server.

Other than that, use nothing else. You probably won't gain much benefit.

-- Rick