DataNucleus AccessPlatform 3.1.0 has just been released. AccessPlatform provides JDO/JPA standards-compliant access to the widest range of datastores for Java applications. It currently supports persistence to RDBMS, ODBMS (db4o, NeoDatis), Documents (XML, Excel, ODF, OOXML), Web-based (JSON, Amazon S3, GoogleStorage), Map-based (HBase, BigTable, Cassandra, MongoDB) datastores, as well as some others (LDAP). It is Apache2 licensed. AccessPlatform additionally allows configuration of classes to be persisted using JDO annotations/XML/API or JPA annotations/XML providing access to both JDO and JPA persistence APIs regardless of which configuration method was chosen, offering flexibility not seen in any other persistence tool. Querying of the supported datastores can be performed using JDOQL, JPQL or SQL (dependent on the datastore). By making use of standardised APIs, the process of swapping persistence from one datastore to another is a simple URL change when specifying the datastore.
DataNucleus AccessPlatform 3.1.0 provides the following over and above what DataNucleus 3.0 provides :
- Now aimed at JRE 1.6+ (though many plugins will work with JDK1.5)
- Enhancer : works with JDK1.7+ too, using ASM v4
- javax.time support now present in datanucleus-core
- Support for atomic non-transactional updates (use of field setters, or SCO mutating methods)
- Addition of a statistics API providing information about calls to the datastore, integrating with the existent JMX capability
- Cache : javax.cache support now present in datanucleus-core, and JCache support present in "datanucleus-cache" plugin
- Support for JPA 2.1 Stored Procedure API (RDBMS)
- Support for JPA 2.1 Type Converter API (RDBMS, Excel, ODF, HBase, MongoDB and JSON)
- JPA : Support for @NamedQuery/@NamedNativeQuery on non-Entity classes (vendor extension)
- JDO : Support for @Query on non-PersistenceCapable classes (vendor extension)
- JDO : Support for non-durable identity (RDBMS, Excel, ODF, MongoDB, HBase)
- REST : Redesigned, adds full JDOQL/JPQL querying, bulk delete, and datastore identity support
- SchemaTool : support for "delete+create" mode of operation
- HBase : support for multitenancy, and JDO/JPA table/column naming strategies
- MongoDB : support JDO/JPA table/column naming strategies, embedded objects with inheritance, "$and" operator, evaluation of more queries in the datastore, much improved type handling
- ODF : support JDO/JPA table/column naming strategies
- Excel : support JDO/JPA table/column naming strategies
- RDBMS : "xmltypeoracle" plugin merged into RDBMS plugin
- Many many bug fixes, and minor feature additions.
Emphasis in version 3.1 is on consolidation of plugins, and of making features available across as many datastores as possible, providing for increased portability of applications. Cross-datastore support status can be viewed here. GAE JDO/JPA plugin v2.1 works with this release of DataNucleus.
Documentation for DataNucleus AccessPlatform is available to view online or available to download. Limited free support for AccessPlatform is provided by way of our forum. Commercial support and consulting is also provided.
Thanks to NightLabs for their continued hosting, and to SourceForge for source code repositories. Finally, thanks to everyone who has helped in the development of DataNucleus AccessPlatform 3.1 over the last 11 months.