Pushed up to the 25th floor of the Nikko Hotel, when attending the JavaOne Embedded show, one's impression is that nobody at Oracle had ever run a conference before.

I always like to arrive a few minutes before a given session, not only to ensure that I get a good seat near the front, but if the speaker isn't fretting too much about their presentation, I always like to share a business card with them and maybe even get a sound bite. As such, I headed up to the 25th floor of the Nikko hotel to see what was going on.

But apparently attendees arriving half an hour early wasn't anticipated by the event staff. After being followed around by security like I was a puppy dog, I was finally told to leave, as nobody was allowed on the 25th floor. I explained that I was part of the press invited to cover the event and wanted to just chat with some presenters, but I was still told to leave. I asked if I could talk to an organizer and was told that none were available. When I asked if I could just sit down somewhere and work on my laptop I was told that there was no way I could be allowed to sit at any of the empty tables and work quietly. It wasn't exactly the welcome that I was expecting.

Of course, it seems that security was right, because as I returned at 10am when the sessions were starting, all of the audio and visual equipment was still being set up, with grips still taping down wires and cords to the carpet.

And of course, when the session speaker told everyone to turn on their mobile device and connect to the WiFi, anyone without a data plan on their cell phone was out of luck because the OracleWorld Wifi was just as slow and spotty at the embedded event as it has been at all of the other JavaOne events.

The fact is, the embedded market is growing fast, with billions of Java enabled mobile devices expected to connect to the Internet in the next few years. Let's hope the Oracle tools and technologies are more welcoming than the event staff kicking the anxious and early attendees out of the JavaOne embedded event.