Discussions

News: 2001 J2EE Deployathon Online

1. 2001 J2EE Deployathon Online (8 messages)

J2EE Deployathon Online is a live demonstration of application portability across J2EE servers. The J2EE deployathon is basically shows how the J2EE example application the Java Petstore runs across a variety of J2EE servers. Updated for Pet Store version 1.1.2, the example app. is now more easily installable across any J2EE compliant app. server.

Check out the 2001 J2EE Deployathon Online!.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. 2001 J2EE Deployathon Online[ Go to top ]

Looks like iPlanet 6.0 still uses Kivasoft's AppLogic engine to run the servlets. I tried running the Pet store example on iPlanet and it throws an exception. The least that Sun-Netscape alliance could've done for their product was to test it before making it available to the public. Now they have an egg on their face. Does any one know if the Deplaython allows to measure the performance of the different serves?

To reproduce the error below go to
    http://developer.iplanet.com/NASApp/estore/control/product?product_id=RP-LI-02
    and click Add to cart.

Server Error
    null
    Oops! Your request cannot be completed. The server got the following error.

com.sun.j2ee.blueprints.petstore.control.exceptions.GeneralFailureException
    at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)
    at java.lang.Throwable.(Compiled Code)
    at java.lang.Exception.(Compiled Code)
    at java.lang.RuntimeException.(Compiled Code)
    at com.sun.j2ee.blueprints.petstore.control.exceptions.GeneralFailureException.(Compiled Code)
    at com.sun.j2ee.blueprints.petstore.control.web.ShoppingClientControllerWebImpl.handleEvent(Compiled Code)
    at com.sun.j2ee.blueprints.petstore.control.web.RequestProcessor.processRequest(Compiled Code)
    at com.sun.j2ee.blueprints.petstore.control.web.MainServlet.doProcess(Compiled Code)
    at com.sun.j2ee.blueprints.petstore.control.web.MainServlet.doGet(Compiled Code)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
    at com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletInfo.service(Compiled Code)
    at com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletRunner.execute(Compiled Code)
    at com.kivasoft.applogic.AppLogic.execute(Compiled Code)
    at com.kivasoft.applogic.AppLogic.execute(Compiled Code)
    at com.kivasoft.thread.ThreadBasic.run(Native Method)
    at com.kivasoft.thread.ThreadBasic.run(Compiled Code)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)

Please notify the administrator. Thank you.

Running on iPlanet Application Server 6.0 SP2

3. 2001 J2EE Deployathon Online[ Go to top ]

I tried your link, no error.
  4. 2001 J2EE Deployathon Online[ Go to top ]

You are right. Looks like they fixed it. I had pasted the stack trace from the exception that was being raised when I hit their site.
  5. 2001 J2EE Deployathon Online[ Go to top ]

But looks like they have a new problem. After clicking on Add to cart, i waited for about 5 minutes to proceed to the next page. Nothing. Guess they should have tested it thoroughly before releasing it to the public.
  6. 2001 J2EE Deployathon Online[ Go to top ]

What kills me - JBoss has the Pet Store deployed long time ago but there is no hint of that on Sun's site

Check out Pet store at JBoss
  7. 2001 J2EE Deployathon Online[ Go to top ]

I think the problem with JBoss is that is it not certified J2EE compliant. Only certified servers are listed... That does not take away anything from JBoss, but I think that's reasonnable.

Maybe they should mention that, although not certified J2EE compatible, JBoss can be tested using the java pet store application.
  8. Can one of you all indicate what the issues are in making an app deployable across servers (ie what not to do/use etc.). This would make for a valuable discussion. (Ex. Weblogic does JNDI lookups in a non-standard way)
  9. 2001 J2EE Deployathon Online[ Go to top ]

Can you describe what you call a "standard JNDI look up"?

--
    Cedric