RMI Connections

Discussions

General J2EE: RMI Connections

1. RMI Connections (1 messages)

Hi, all.

I am working on a distributed system with a custom build application server in the center and about 18 remote agents scattered all over on a WAN.

Is it possible if I use a J2EE app server, and if it is, how would I keep a rmi connection open to each of these remote agents so that I don't have to open the connection every time I want to make a request for data from a specific agent?

Currently my custom app server keeps in it's session callback references to all it's agent. If the server wants to query a specific agent it does so by finding the callback reference of the specific agnet and make a request for data.

Thanx for your time and effort.

Threaded Messages (1)

2. RMI Connections[ Go to top ]

Is it possible if I use a J2EE app server

It just depends on your needs, yes you could if you needed to.

>how would I keep a rmi connection open to each of these remote agents so that I don't have to open the connection every time I want to make a request for data from a specific agent?

Well as far as I know, Application servers do not provide general purpose resource pooling. But then it's not hard to write one. I usually use a Singleton per object-class I need to pool and bind it to a JNDI name...you could use a similar strategy

Cheers
    Adi