Discussions

General J2EE: IDE selection - help please!

1. IDE selection - help please! (7 messages)

Hi all,

We are in the process of selecting our Java IDE and I'm hoping to get some feedback, comments and additional candidates for consideration. Our basic requirements are:
    - Full EJB support (complete with wizards & other productivity tools & stuff)
    - Support for BEA Weblogic 6 (&up), Oracle 9iAS 1.0.2.2 (&up) and one or more of the low end products (JBoss, Orion, etc.)
    - Cost will be considered, but it is not an overriding criteria

Currently on our list are:
    - Borland JBuilder5: Looks like a very good IDE, but there are questions about its support for various application servers e.g. Does it support Oracle 9iAS? OR is there an easy way to configure it to support application servers other than the ones out of the box? Also how much JSP support is built-in i.e. do we still need a Dreamweaver as well?

- WebGain Studio: IDE is fair, but there are nifty additional stuff like Dreamweaver (excellent), TopLink (excellent), etc. Its integration with BEA is very good, but how good is it with Oracle? And again how easy is it to configure it to support Oracle.

- Kawa 5: Cheap (compared to the previous 2!). Standard support for BEA and the low-end app servers, but can it be configured to support Oracle? It seems a bit lean on the documentation side. Being a lot cheaper, one has to ask what is the catch - what do we not get compared to VCafe/JBuilder? How stable/bugfree is it?

Any feedback & comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Anton.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Don't forget to take a look at NetBeans 3.2 (Open Source) and Forte4J (based on NetBeans). An article about Forte4J:
    http://www.informationweek.com/841/forte.htm

I think, there is no IDE that can support all J2EE servers with the same quality.

Lofi.
  3. Check out the sun's forte for java.Very powerfull IDE and it's free!!!
  4. IDE selection - help please![ Go to top ]

Some of the people in our company are using JBuilder and indeed, it has some good integration with for instance WebLogic and JBoss, but I've encountered some major problems with JBuilder and stopped using it. JBuilder does a lot of things behind your back (in my opinion way tooo much). The question is basically, do you want to happen so much behind your back and can't you just generate and after that modify your deployment descriptors yourself and then let for instance Ant deploy/run/test you EJBeans?

Personally I'm using NetBeans 3.2 (if you have to choose between NetBeans and Forte, choose NetBeans, because it upgrades easier, support is better, and some open-source integration modules for WebLogic is good). NetBeans also has management tools to manage Oracle databases (basically every database with a JDBC-interface) so that shouldn't be a big problem.

I think JBuilder and WebGain (no, don't use that, please...) are way to expensive to generate some sample code for you. With NetBeans you can also do templates and stuff... Kawa is good, part of Allaire now I think, but well, NetBeans makes it look like a small thingy (I still don't understand why such a product could be open-source and completely free, it's amazing).

www.netbeans.org

Alef Arendsen
    Software Engineer
    SmartHaven - Every Bit Personal
  5. IDE selection - help please![ Go to top ]

Personally I'm using NetBeans 3.2 (if you have to choose between NetBeans and Forte, choose NetBeans, because it upgrades easier, support is better, and some open-source integration modules for WebLogic is good). NetBeans also has management tools to manage Oracle databases (basically every database with a JDBC-interface) so that shouldn't be a big problem.

--> Forte4J is based on NetBeans. The problem is Forte4J 2.0 is not yet based on NetBeans 3.2. But take a look at Forte4J 3.0 (in the article I've put in my last thread). It is based on NetBeans 3.2
    --> Forte4J Community Editon is the same as NetBeans. If you need a "real support", buy Forte4J. If you think you can handle the problems by yourself and you think, it's enough to have support from Open Source Community, just use NetBeans. If you need a better integration and "value added components" with other application servers, especially iPlanet, go for Forte4J 3.0 Enterprise (in beta).
    --> All the modules you can install in NetBeans 3.2 are also installable in Forte4J 3.0

Lofi.
  6. Hi all,
    Thanks for all the responses - I'm looking at NetBeans and FFJ now. About NetBeans I have one questions - it doesn't appear to support EJB's - what I mean is there is no EJB productivity tools so you have to create all the EJB classes by hand (!?). The same goes for FFJ - the new FFJ 3.0 EE (beta) being the only exception! So are you guys using NetBeans/FFJ for EJB development? If so, how?
    Cheers.
    Anton.
  7. Hello,

you are absolutely right. NetBeans does not have productivity tools for EJB development. FFJ 3.0 has such tools. If you need such productivity tools go for FFJ 3.0. FFJ 3.0 has the same code base as NetBeans 3.2 only with some more modules "Value Added Products".

I personally use Enhydra + JOnAS (all open source) in my open source EJB project and make my own templates for the EJB development, so I don't need such productivity tools. I like to have the "control" of how my source code should look like ;-)

Lofi.
    OpenUSS - http://openuss.sourceforge.net
  8. I have been in the process of evaluating the best IDE tool to fit our needs the most integerable one with many application server was the WEBGAIN and continous updates are available for this tool ,but i have a quistion if any one could help me in this issue where can i get a copy of jbuilder5 enterprise edition as a trial one since i could not get one from any where.

regards