Discussions

News: Are your stale Java EE skills making you irrelevant in today's job market?

1. College kids are graduating with Java programming skills that were once coveted, and the subsequent influx of developers is depressing the salaries of those who were once in high income positions. The current job market is starting to look at traditional Java EE development skills as being stale. So what does an enterprise Java developer, who lived through the evolution from Servlets to Struts and to Spring, have to do to keep current?

Is it now all about cloud and Android and Big Data? Are these the new arenas where enterprise developers should be honing their skills? Or is that falling into the past as well, with something even more current coming down the pipe? Or is it back to the future with a focus on HTML, with the only difference being a focus on version 5?

New job wanted ads often emphasize cloud computing, whether it is a honed skill with IaaS, PaaS or SaaS. Is this the new space where developers need to focus? Or do developers risk learning a skill that will soon be obsolete when they focus on a cloud based technology that might soon become irrelevant?

Jan Stafford and TheServerSide are taking a look at what Java professionals are doing to keep themselves relevant, with a focus on what keys skills that leverage cloud computing and mobile development are most useful. Where should an enterprise Java professional focus when they want to make themselves relevant and start commanding interest from placement agencies and land those high-dollar contracts that were so prevalent in years past? What career changes are the smart enterprise developers making, and how are the corporate leaders in the IT space driving these changes forward?

We'd very much like to know what the experience is for the readership of TSS, so please, let us know your thoughts.

Threaded Messages (12)

2. Enterprise SOA tools[ Go to top ]

tools like IBM WMB, WMQ, Data power and Oracle tools like SOA Suite, OSB are in demand for enterprise-level integrations..
  3. It's interesting, but that is indeed one area where we keep hearing a load of interest: Integration. The problem is, integration means different things to different people. Is it Camel? Is it MuleSoft? Is it just wrapping up components in SOAP or RESTful APIs so communication is easy, or is it something different entirely. I've found 'SOA' is becomming a bit of a dirty word.
  4. Adapt or die[ Go to top ]

Being proactive and trying to stay up-to-date on the current technologies is an absolute must. There are new versions of Java EE which are simpler than previous ones, so seasoned developers should look into them. Long time ago, the universal built tool was Ant, now you are expected to know the basics of Maven, and private repositories. Other great trends are new languages, including Groovy (and the Grails framework), JRuby, Scala and more recently, Clojure. I've walked the Servlets/JSP path to J2EE to Spring, then continued to Grails, learned and worked with Ruby on Rails and I'm trying to move to Clojure and lots of JavaScript (BackboneJS and Angular).
  5. I don't think it's too unusual for someone who has been working with the same company for years to know CVS and ANT, only to walk into a new shop and look like a complete idiot when they don't know how to connect to GitHub or work with Maven. A good knowledge of continuous integration tools is a must, including automatic code quality checks. But what about the cloud and mobile? Is there anything in that space that is a must? Or can you still live in the Java EE world and be pertinent while at the same time being insulated from the onslaught of the cloud?
  6. technology changes, languages change and so we as a developer need ot change too. We need to keep up with New API in the java language,new supporting languages that are becoming an alternative, lot of interaction is moving into the client - so java script and css is taking majority of role on the UI side, build and deploy arean is changing too with gitHub, Chef, new maven versions are making it simple (and sometimes complex), code stats tools / dashboards - sonar dashboard with find bug, pmd all put together, hardware also has some improvements like DataPowers etc. Some things havent changed either - like quality of software from big companies .. like web sphere or weblogic .. still same old heavy duty unnecessary technology FAT. ( i know there are some folks who would go after me for it. But hey i have seen it all first hand. :) ). In all - only thing constant is change. And it has to be so. Our job as a senior developer , architect is to keep up with the change. thats just part of the career path.
  7. In the beginning there was Struts. Along came Spring. Along came CDI. New frameworks come and go and people always keep saying that we live in a ever changing environment and that is true but the speed at which things change is not that dazzling that people might think. Sure, if you are a small shop you can jump at the "emerging trends" but the odds are great that it's just a fad and then you sit there with something you have to maintain (or rewrite). The Java EE platform is there to provide stability. It might not have the latest and greatest but once a technology makes it into the platform, the spec has been reviewed by the people who have contributed to similar technologies. Personally, I would take a developer with sound basic understanding of the key Java EE spec components and application architecture design skills any day before someone who knows the latest-script-thingie-that-has-been-put-on-top-of-the-JVM. Sure, there might be a demand for SOA/Cloud/BigData developers but by the time those technologies have evolved into something that can actually be defined and used, there is plenty of time to focus on core stuff and look where they are heading (the EE spec, hopefully).
  8. I came from Servlet/JSP to struts and then spring, currently working in grails and android. Now thinking to shift from traditional application developer/lead architect to DWH(Analytics), ETL and BI. In my opinion dataware house related techs and trends are good to shift for us as Enterprise Java developer. That stack consists of ETL(Extraction, transformation and Loading), Data modeling tools like IBM data stage and oracle stuff. BI (Business Intelligence) tools like IBM cognos and microsoft has also came up with few good tools related to SQL Server for BI. Cognos is like eclipse environment so enterprise java developer has a good futuristic technologies shift if he wants too.
  9. ETL? Speaking of stale skills.
  10. "Are your stale Java EE skills making you irrelevant in today's job market?"

No.

11. "Are your stale Java EE skills making you irrelevant in today's job market?" No.
  12. Big Data[ Go to top ]

I am studying Big Data techniques as an alternative to the usual RDBMS skills.
  13. That's me[ Go to top ]

Java -> Struts -> Spring for past 10+ years. As of now, I don't think Spring is stale at all... I think it's still growing in terms of demand. I'll be honest and say meeting someone who really knows Spring is very rare..which is why Spring Java programmers are very much in demand with $$$ pay. For me, I don't want to be at the leading bleeding edge tech. That's too much work! But, if someone or article mentions about particular tech for 1 or 2 years then I'll look into it. Which is the reason why I'm taking a training course on Hadoop!