Discussions

News: jORM is a lightweight Java ORM

1. jORM is a lightweight Java ORM (7 messages)

jORM is a lightweight Java ORM. It does not aim at solving every database problem. It primarily cures the boilerplatisis that many Java solutions suffer from, while exposing the functionality of the JDBC through a convenient interface. Interested in? - Intuitive mapping from table to object - Simplistic markup for query construction - Freedom of expression in SQL - Code generation from database At Jajja Communications AB we've found that many applications have a need both for non teadious mapping of databases and for the full freedom of expression provided by raw SQL. This is an attempt to bridge the gap. For us it has proved to be a big timesaver in startup of small projects, and has turned Java into an attractive choice for script-like applications in comparison to PHP and Ruby. If you are tired of excessive configuration and obfuscation of SQL in Java, feel free to look into the source at Github: https://github.com/jajja/jorm Several production systems at Jajja live on top of this database abstraction, and a high-performance system with massive reads and regular writes is currently being tested and scheduled for deployment. We'd love your input on our little experiment!

Threaded Messages (7)

2. one more[ Go to top ]

If you don't bother to use the widespread mature, well-specified, multi-implemented tools, check this other 'revolutionary' crap. It has the same advertising stuff as its brothers we-don't-use-jpa-because-it's-so-difficult libs. The demo will be cool (to innocent newbies at least), you will only start suffer when your project reach 500 loc and you reach the first weird choices of the only implementation. Without a spec to back it up, the only truth will be their implementation. Just go on with it, such a nice idea.
  3. yes, one more[ Go to top ]

Thank you for your constructive criticism. Obviously we are not aiming at replacing JPA or any of the enterprise solutions living on top of it. Nor are we aiming at fooling unexperienced coders. I think jORM is best suited for developers that can actually afford to take the time to read the implementation and understand its simplicity.
  4. yaorm[ Go to top ]

How does this compare to UJorm?
  5. For one - jORM is not a query/criterion builder, which seem to be one of the selling points for Ujorm. One purpose has been to use as much actual SQL as possible, thus not obscuring what happens behind the scene, and providing a clean interface for this. As an example the fields of a record can be set to a SQL expression, to be evaluated by the connected database. I suggest you take the time to read the implementation if you are interested, along with the documentation. Another important feature for us, has been to classify SQL states of SQLExceptions.
  6. Another JORM ?[ Go to top ]

http://jorm.ow2.org/ Any relation? If not then suggest you pick a new name to avoid the obvious confusion.
  7. Naming[ Go to top ]

I'm sorry you are confused by the naming. We considered whether there were any relevant collisions before publishing on Github, and found no hard hits. For all other suggestions there were several. Development on the project you mention ceased in mid 2003. Anyway, If naming is what your feedback is about, I suspect you haven't had time to look at the interesting parts of this release yet? We very much interested in feedback on the usability of our little library.
  8. I know that is not easy to develop this type of framework.  When i was developed my ORM (https://code.google.com/p/orm-elx/), I found this problems, my collegues don´t wanted or knew to understant my vision and my motivation. I think that it is your problem in this mometn for your orm