8 Java Web Frameworks Compared for Curious Coders

Discussions

News: 8 Java Web Frameworks Compared for Curious Coders

1. It's "New Project" time again, which means it's time to pick a good web framework to help you along. But why do we need web frameworks anyway? Well, coding good-looking web applications in Java isn’t super easy at time.

In fact, let’s just say it sucks. It can be hard to do and mostly doesn’t give us the rich front-end we strive to deliver to happy users. This is really the catalyst which has caused Web Frameworks to be created. Both, functional and non-functional web app requirements have led to the need for various web frameworks to be created, but this brings us to the opposite problem… there are so many choices out there to use, which web framework should you pick for your next web app? 

That's why we donned our lab coats and set out to answer some of the tougher questions. And behold, The Curious Coder's Java Web Frameworks Comparison!

More than just looking at market share and usage in place, we wanted to extend this report on Java Web Frameworks to look deeper at these eight libraries, and find out about what is really important to developers. This report is the first of two and will focus on a feature comparison across the following categories:

1. Rapid application prototyping
    2. Framework Complexity
    3. Ease of Use
    4. Documentation & Community
    5. Framework Ecosystem
    6. Throughput/Scalability
    7. Code Maintenance/Updates
    8. UX, Look and feel

You'll get to see the winners of each category, and at the end investigate which framework might work best for you given the qualities we judged. Will the big guys like Spring MVC, JSF and Struts dominate the show? Or are smaller players like Vaadin, Grails and GWT going to finally trump their predecessors? Either way, you'll be left with a pragmatic guidebook to gauging whether certain frameworks will be right for your next project. Stay tuned for a Part II report, which compares the same frameworks against different use case, application types and user profiles. 

Read the entire thing in HTML (or download the beautifully-designed PDF version to take home): http://0t.ee/java-web-frameworks

2. Too many people focuses on how could I code "faster" but not on how could I test "better".  To me, the quality of the code comes from testability and definitely not on how one could code faster.  This is why I stick with Spring MVC because testability from unit tests to integration tests are phenomenal.  Then again I never used Vaadin/Gradle so perhpas they do have easy way of testing.