Over the last few weeks I have been on a research sabbatical exploring future directions in the engineering of self managed and self organizing software systems via control, adaptation and regulation. In the course of my research I came across the following academic paper that outlines a “second” research roadmap for self-adaptive systems which I found extremely interesting and insightful.

Software Engineering for Self-Adaptive Systems: A Second Research Roadmap
Abstract. The goal of this roadmap paper is to summarize the state-of-the-art and identify research challenges when developing, deploying and managing self-adaptive software systems. Instead of dealing with a wide range of topics associated with the field, we focus on four essential topics of self-adaptation: design space for self-adaptive solutions, software engineering processes for self-adaptive systems, from centralized to decentralized control, and practical run-time verification & validation for self-adaptive systems. For each topic, we present an overview, suggest future directions, and focus on selected challenges.

Below I have called out some sections in the paper which resonate with our thinking and which relate to our application monitoring & management (control) technologies...

http://www.jinspired.com/site/future-research-directions-in-software-engineering-of-self-adaptive-systems