Discussions

Performance and scalability: comparision between Visualcafe and Visual Age for Java

1. hi all,
    i am in the midst of evaluating Visual Age Vs Visualcafe as an IDE which is primarialy going to be on EJB development, Servlets and JSP, using Weblogic 6.1 ,
    just wanted to know if there are any sites or information on ease of development and deployment of the codes in these IDEs with weblogic , and are there any issues while deploying on weblogic

Thanx in advance
    Orjun

Ps i've been working with Visual Age for java and Websphere
    but do not know if the IDE is suitable for weblogic

2. I would not use VAJ unless I'm developing for WAS.

--
    www.tinou.com
  3. There are other threads on this very topic. I recommend either JBuilder or Visual Cafe for Weblogic 5.1. The latest version of JBuilder may work with Weblogic 6. I am positive that Visual Cafe probably works with Weblogic 6. Visual Cafe has tighter integration with Weblogic.

I too would avoid Visual Age. It is another tool that is very specific to Websphere. It is not a portable tool like JBuilder.
  4. If you plan to use VAJ for EJB development you cannot use
    an external source control tool. IBM admit the two are
    in compatible.

Also EJB deployment descriptors as generated in VAJ 3.5.2 are proprietary.
  5. I too would avoid Visual Age. It is another tool that is

> very specific to Websphere. It is not a portable tool
    > like JBuilder.

That is simply a misguided statement. I use VisualAge for Java to develop EJB's all the time for app servers other than WebSphere. In fact, I've never used WebSphere on a project. VAJ will give you extra development capability (such as code generation, automatic deployment, and integrated server debugging) if you are using WebSphere, but it does not in any way prohibit you from developing EJBs, servlets, or JSP that will be deployed in another app server. Heck, BEA has even published versions of a VAJ Integration Kit that allows you to run WebLogic 4.x and 5.x inside VAJ, for debugging your server-side code.

VAJ is no more or less "portable" than the other IDEs, and it is not "very specific to WebSphere" unless you want to be. There is a big difference between "having enhanced features in one direction" and "not supporting the other direction." VAJ does the former, not the latter.