Telerik Controls are great for building modern, rich clients, and web applications often seen at the enterprise level. I just worked with a company that uses these controls in their soon to be released customer facing SharePoint portal. They ran a small load test which showed that the response times were ranging between 150ms and 1.3s for most of their pages – which is acceptable. Still, they wanted my opinion on the data – so they shared a dynaTrace session with me. I observed a number of problems prior to the production deployment:

• “Unbalanced” load balancer will bring a server-cluster down
  • Data driven performance problems will kill a database server
  • Wasteful database connection handling will impact app server performance

Check out the following screenshots that explain my steps and findings while I analyzed their performance data. I hope this is also a good guide for any of your own work you do on Telerik, SharePoint or any other frameworks. It is important to understand what happens underneath the hood – – just because it works on a developer’s machine or in a small scale load test, doesn’t mean it will scale in production.

Step #1: Analyzing Transaction Flow

The transaction flow visualizes the flow of all requests end-to-end through the system. Not only is it interesting to see where my performance hotspots are but it is also very interesting to see how load is distributed, how these tiers are communicating with each other and how they interact with external systems such as the database.

Continue reading the rest of the blog ...