Discussions

News: Borland Eyeing the Chasm Between Java and .NET

1. Borland's CEO makes vague allusions implying his company will provide the missing link between Java and .NET. VP of software solutions Frank Slootman mentions that "The official story is that we are going to layer between Java and .NET in Web services.". Is Borland planning some larger integration product, or are they simply referring to the integration that plain Web Services will bring?

Read about it in the article Borland Eyeing the Chasm Between Java and .NET.
  2. I don't know if people really want to 'port' J2EE components to .Net or vice versa, I think it's more likely that we'll see middleware that allows these components to be assembled in to services that are published using UDDI and WSDL as a Web Service. The resulting composite application/service will then be platform agnostic and in my view much more useful than before. It could then be accessed via SOAP/Email, SOAP/Http, SOAP/JMS or any other transport supported by the broker. This is what my service broker idea basically allows.

Borland can continue to pump money in to EAServer but I think they (and the other 'smaller' players, if I can use the word smaller) would be better off investing in developing middleware layered on top (such as their Event Broker product) and selling it on any J2EE server than to continue to chase a lost cause, i.e. the J2EE server market. BEA and IBM have won the battle, it's over. The outcome of the war will now be decided on the stacks layered on top.

Maybe, thats what is being alluded to. I guess we'll see soon in any case.

Billy
  3. Billy,

What you company are you talking about? Borland does not have a product named EAServer or EventBroker. I know BEA has event broker product for tuxedo and Sysbase refers to their server as EAServer.

Regarding your comment about the war is over I intend to create another new items specifically to address this.

Billy, I am curious what company do you work for and what appservers have you really used.

regards,

William
  4. Billy,

Its OK I found your website. Hmmmm....a waterford man.

William
  5. Oops[ Go to top ]

Sorry,
    Just reread the post and what can I say, oops. Whopper of a boo-boo. Sybase make Event Broker and EAServer of course not Borland/Inprise.

Just to answer the questions, I've used EAServer way back when it was called Jaguar then WebLogic 4.51/5.1 and recently WebSphere V3.x and now V4.0. I'd say I know WebSphere best.

A Waterford man for college but originally from Wexford. I have been a freelance consultant (10 years). I'm about to start working full-time for someone, time to settle down.

The point about the war/battle etc was simply that I think the J2EE server leaders have been established, thats all. It's not about whats better, it's about who has momentum now. This is little disputing that it's BEA and IBM. It's the forthcoming software on top that adds the value moving forward and I think it's still possible for early movers to get a jump here if they can come up with something cool that runs on J2EE platforms, thats all, hence the war isn't over but I think it's fair to say that a battle has indeed been won.

Sorry for the blunder, fingers quicker than the brain...
    Billy