Discussions

News: HP to buy Compaq for $25 Billion

1. HP to buy Compaq for $25 Billion (7 messages)

In one of the largest deals in the entire history of the technology sector, Hewlett Packard plans to buy Compaq in a stock swap worth about $25 Billion. The deal probably means layoffs for up to 10% of staff or 15,000 workers world wide. Reportedly, the deal helps both companies compete in the server sector with IBM and Sun.

"Our focus will be on strengthening partnerships with Microsoft, Intel, Oracle and SAP, but we will face challenges from our multiple architectures and roadmaps," said Michael Capellas, who is set to become HP president, at an analyst conference today.

Chairman and chief executive Carly Fiorina asserted that issues with multiple environments would be solved by "standardising on the Itanium platform across the entire server line up".

Read Big Iron: HP to buy Compaq, special on CNET.

Read The New HP Vision.

I wonder what effect this major acquisition will have on the J2EE landscape. With HP's recent acquisition of Bluestone (makers of the Bluestone J2EE app. server), HP has been pushing its NETAction line of products (including Bluestone and HP's own middleware: Open View). With the com bined distribution power of HP and Compaq, Bluestone could find itself bundeld with more server sales then Websphere or Weblogic...

Threaded Messages (7)

2. HP to buy Compaq for $25 Billion[ Go to top ]

"standardising on the Itanium platform across the entire server line up"

does that mean giving up on their unix servers.
  3. HP to buy Compaq for $25 Billion[ Go to top ]

Are they crazy?
    I think if the brand of Compaq crash, HP will crash too.

4. HP to buy Compaq for $25 Billion[ Go to top ]

No. HP-UX, Tandem, etc are all getting ported to Itanium but remain as OSes.
  5. Interesting merger..
    HP with its inclination towards J2EE,Unix etc & Compaq towards Microsoft technologies,How is this going to work out in the long run. Will it be possible to keep good relationship with these two ( Microsoft & Non-Microsoft) companies..
    Only time has to answer this..
  6. HP to buy Compaq for $25 Billion[ Go to top ]

Maybe they will buy borland next to glue together J2EE and .NEt
  7. HP to buy Compaq for $25 Billion[ Go to top ]

If this were a software company buy out, I for one would be complaining that all these mergers are affecting potential innovation and choice for system architects. Does the same not hold true for hardware or are we on a plateau as far as hardware is concerned at the moment?
  8. HP to buy Compaq for $25 Billion[ Go to top ]

at least this is good news for JVM being bundled with win OS. compaq wasnt too sure on that, i think(i stand corrected). HP always was ready to ship jvm with xp. dell and ibm too agreed on that. and now its settled.