Discussions

News: Pizza Hut Sydney delivers pizza with J2EE technology

1. In an interesting J2EE success story: Online pizza delivery to most of metro Sydney is now available from the web using an EJB based back end running on IBM WebSphere and DB2, with a Servlet/JSP frontend running on Apache Struts 1.0.

See the announcement for more info.

Tricon Restaurants International (Pizza Hut) engaged Multitask to deliver an e-business solution enabling customers to order Pizzas online.

The project has been deemed to be a success to date with positive customer feedback, and good initial order volumes.

The project was delivered using IBM's WebSphere, DB2, Apache Struts 1.0 and J2EE technologies.

The site is currently generating revenue and will pay for itself before a year is out at current estimates.

What other ongoing J2EE business successes are there?
  2. Their site seems to be down. Perhaps all this press as overloaded their servers with international attention they weren't expecting. Still, it is these big name success stories that will continue to drive J2EE adoption and give us ammunition convince our managers against making us build .NET apps. :)

I wonder if they will deliver to my apt in Waterloo, Canada... :)
  3. Not if the site stays down - that doesn't say a lot about either scability or reliability.
  4. Does scalability mean that the application will automatically add/upgrade hardware on sensing higher load?
  5. What does scalability mean[ Go to top ]

No.

It means the application was written to allow extra
    hardware to be added dynamically and then load distributed.
  6. What does scalability mean[ Go to top ]

ok, but you still have to rationalize the purchase of the hardware, get the hardware, setup the hardware, and deploy the hardware. Don't know about you, but we normally don't have enough servers just laying around doing nothing to compensate in case our capacity needs to grow 5x in a matter of days.
  7. What does scalability mean[ Go to top ]

Rationalizing is easy in this case.

Getting the hardware, setting up and deploying are all part of the planning process. Seriously though, given the go ahead it can easily be done in a matter of days with the right relationships (h/w, s/w, isp etc).

The servers wont be laying around doing nothing, they're there for planned expansion.

But you can see how the application would be the least of your worries, right?
  8. Give them a break... scalable apps need hardware in order to scale. Given that their target audience is one city, I doubt that they've given the site the hardware to handle huge loads. The "slashdotting" effect is hammering the site temporarily with a lot more traffic than it would normally see... of course, it's having problems.

Come back and check in a month.
  9. Looks like it got 'Slashdotted' by theserverside.com postings!
  10. J2EE -> Java Developers -> pizza

It's about time someone made the connection!
  11. Does anyone use WebShpere with Oracle? So far I've never seen a case study for Websphere that wasn't using DB2 and IBM e@server or AS400.

Any commments?
  12. I have tried an installation of IBM WebSphere 3.0 with Oracle. What you need to do is use the light version of DB2 that comes with WAS as the repository database and use Oracle only for your application data. Otherwise WAS doesn't run properly. This is quite a pain and I think IBM discourages the use of Oracle with WAS.
  13. who says WAS doesnt run "properly" with oracle. i did my first j2ee app on WAS v3-oracle 8i and it ran as smoothly as it can get. and that was in 1999 when app servers were still maturing and WAS ran like a kid. we used oracle for the WAS respository, no problem at all. i dont think ibm no way discourages use of oracle. on the contrary most of the WAS production installation are on oracle. hey eBay runs oracle.
  14. Do not understand. Thought Apache is just the Web front-end.
    Is Apache Strut a servlet engine like Tomcat?