I’m beginner...

Discussions

General J2EE: I’m beginner...

1. I’m beginner... (4 messages)

I am Java developer that doesn’t have any experience with J2EE technology. Please give me advise:
    1. What good books about it that I should buy.
    2. Maybe some good training, information sites that I should visit.
    3. Any other suggestions.

Thank you very much for your time.

Threaded Messages (4)

2. I’m beginner...[ Go to top ]

Hi Ron,

well, it depends on your work/study way. For example:

1) A main book: Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in java". Mainly J2SDK.

2) Ed Roman's "Mastering Enterprise Java Beans". Don´t be afraid for the title (It covers all the J2EE world)

3) java.sun.com, of course!!! And the "Blueprints" site into it.

Well, this is excelent for a good start.

Good luck, pal.

Regards, Jesus.
  3. I’m beginner...[ Go to top ]

Thanks
  4. I’m beginner...[ Go to top ]

About the book part, I wouldn't buy "Mastering EJB" if I were you to get me started. It's a reasonable basic book, but by now it's gotten a bit old. For instance, I don't see any reason to start learning the EJB1.1 persistence model now, when EJB2.0 has completely replaced it.
    "Mastering EJB 2.0" should be coming out in a while, although judging by the first one it may be a little too elementary... depends on what you're going to work on.

I'd also get a version of the latest spec (2.0 final). It's too formal for most people as reading material, but it can be very useful when you want an authorative answer.

BTW - I also think "Thinking in Java" and "Thinking in C++" is a must have... And you can download it for free to see if you like it.

regards
    Gal
  5. I’m beginner...[ Go to top ]

Hi,

The number one book you shoudl get is Professional Java Server Programming J2EE Edition by Wrox Press;

http://www.wrox.com/Books/Book_Details.asp?sub_section=1&isbn=1861004656&subject=Java&subject_id=13

The Topical Index at;

http://www.javaworld.com

is a very good resource.