Opinion: J2EE + LINUX + Intel is the leading application stack

Discussions

News: Opinion: J2EE + LINUX + Intel is the leading application stack

1. With the success of J2EE & Linux, building Enterprise systems has become really affordable, without much compromise on quality. It is time to come up a right model for development & deployment of an e-commerce application. I propose the use of Linux on Intel machines with open source or low cost J2EE app. servers, scaling up different parts of the stack as necessary.

In particular, Linux has become a proven, scalable platform for development. Read the article Which OS is Fastest for High-Performance Network Applications? for a great analysis of using Linux for real world applications. TheServerSide.com itself runs on Redhat Linux with the open source PostgreSql databsae.

This will be my approach to any e-commerce applications:
    1. Decide on the technology (J2EE or .Net). Adequate effort has to be put in to decide this, because once chosen it is very expensive to revert back.
    2. Once J2EE is chosen, Design, Develop & Deploy the application on (JRUN, Orion or JBOSS on Linux)
    3. After the business model succeeds & the website need extra capacity, then mix & match on the AppServers (Weblogic or Websphere) & OS (Solaris on Sparc) & use them.

The reasons for going in the above approach are
    1. Use one of the biggest advantages of J2EE i.e. the ability to switch vendors depending on the need at any given time without much portability issues (Thanks to Sun's J2EE compatibility test)
    2. Once the website goes "live" typically it takes a long time to reach 100 % utilization. Why should customers buy H/W & Software anticipating these users for the next "n" Years?
    3. The product life of J2EE Appservers are very short (every year we see major releases). So it is much better to buy them only when we badly need them.
    4. Lastly not all the "Business Models" have been successful in the market. Till the "Model" succeeds it is much better to keep the risks as low as possible.

By doing so we can leverage the true benefits of J2EE & deliver real value to customers. Comments?
  2. I belive that the ability of switch J2EE vendors and implementations as well as OS platforms, allows companies such us ours to present customers with choices. Our customers can choose solutions in the scale of a Mack Truck, a SUV, a sedan, or a sub-compact.

Paul Jaime
    Director of Development
    Wellington Consulting Co.
    paulj@wellcon.com
  3. Perhaps an extra paragraph should be inserted to describe how (and when if neccessary)to transition from servlet/JSP to EJB.
    I believe J2EE with servlet/JSP (Tomcat, Rexip, Resin, Servletexec, JRun) on Linux/Intel should be the first step for many projects.

4. Yes, I share the same sentiments as well. The portability does open up a new way of developing and deploying ecommerce sites, allowing the client to make very small capital investment up front. In light of the debacle concerning opensource implementation of J2EE appservers/containers (e.g. JBoss, Enhydra, ...etc), I think the SCSL issue (as mentioned in the thread 'Enhydra drops J2EE server ...' http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=9037) really needs to resolved to instill confidence in the customer to use the J2EE + Linux + Intel combination. I see alot of business opportunities for smaller/local players ahead for this.
  5. a
  6. The approach described here sounds fine, but I would hardly call it "the leading application stack". It could be the leading application stack if you've already decided you have to use Java, but most of the large sites out there (Yahoo, MSN, AOL, Amazon, eBay) are not using Java and the small sites are perfectly happy with things like PHP which are significantly faster for them to build with.
  7. most of the large sites out there (Yahoo, MSN, AOL, Amazon, eBay) are not using Java and the small sites are perfectly happy with things like PHP

eBay has evolved!

http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=8906

Those "oldschool" sites you mentioned aren't using java simply because they existed before java did; talk about legacy systems! :-)

But I think eBay is gonna be the first of many of these old-timers to move to J2EE.

8. Amazon.com on J2EE[ Go to top ]

link name

Hi fellas,

If I'm not mistaken, Amazon.com has been running on WebLogic Server since 1995?

Cheers,
    Jason

9. From the jboss manual:

<quote ref="http://www.jboss.org/documentation/HTML/ch11s02.html">

Be aware however that JBoss performance is very dependant on the underlying configuration. For example, informal tests show that on the same PC box, it can run twice as fast under Windows 2000 / Sun JVM than under Linux 2.2 / Sun JVM.

Linux users probably already know that linux does not support real threads. Under heavy load, JBoss will for example crash with 200 concurrent users under linux, whereas it can handle 1000 of them on the same box with Windows 2000. Of course, if you use Apache or Jetty in front of JBoss to handle the thread pooling, this will not be a problem.

</quote>

I'm not really sure how the situation is with Linux 2.4, and the IBM jdk is rumored to be faster than Sun jdk, and you can always tweak the kernel ... and ... and ... but I believe there _is_ a good reason why we need ngpt (Next Generation Posix Threads), why the guys at IBM Alphaworks are developing experimental kernel-patches to get more threads and so on ... namely that you can't always get all the threads you need on Linux.

--
    Jon Martin Solaas
    jonmartin dot solaas at mail dot link dot no

10. I have tryed to run JBoss 2.4 on Linux (SuSe) with different VMs. And my experance was that our application used least CPU on blackdown. CPU was an limited resource to our EJB Application, so blackdown was the best solution for us.

Vidar Vevik
    vidar.vevik@bigfoot.com