Discussions

EJB design: EJB "must/need" refactorings? - classes and interfaces

1. I was wondering what refactorings are common practice for development that includes EJB. For example:

Do most of you use a "DataManager" plain java class to get and execute connections?

Do most of you pluck out the SQL try/catch blocks and instead put them into a methods of a regular java class purposely associated with aparticular Entity?

What are the interfaces for such abstractions you have designed?
  2. Hi Jonathan,

I think you should take a look at the J2EE/EJB patterns identified so far by Sun engineers. Please see:

BluePrints

J2EE Patterns

Hope this helps,

Cris

3. I hope I dont seem that clueless. What I want to know is what are developers who visit this site doing. In case you didnt know, there are hundreds of patterns and abstractions that are not in the j2ee blueprints and patterns which developers use. Again, anyone out there want to share some of there abstractions, interfaces, and the solutions they solve.
  4. Hi Jonathan,

I'm sorry if I didn't understand your question. Maybe that's because the refactoring examples you give seem like design patterns to me.

As far as I know, refactoring involves the application of local micro-patterns when you're restructuring existing code. See, for example:

http://www.refactoring.com/

Of course, many patterns exist other than the ones I mention. Those patterns I mention are recurring solutions anyway. As such, they may include what you're looking for.

Regards,

Cris