CA Cool:JOE first IDE to pass J2EE 1.3 compatibility test suite

Discussions

News: CA Cool:JOE first IDE to pass J2EE 1.3 compatibility test suite

1. Computer Associates International today announced that COOL:Joe has become the first development environment to successfully pass the Sun Microsystems Compatibility Test Suite for the J2EE, Version 1.3. An IDE can pass the CTS by being able to correctly create and deploy code into the J2EE reference implementation.

Press Release
    -----------------
    ISLANDIA, N.Y., Sept. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Computer Associates International, Inc. (CA) today announced that COOL:Joe has become the first development environment to successfully pass the Sun Microsystems Compatibility Test Suite for the Java(TM) 2 Platform Enterprise Edition (J2EE(TM)), Version 1.3. As the first enterprise-class solution to achieve this sought-after certification, COOL:Joe is uniquely positioned to lower the risk associated with eBusiness software development -- ensuring that applications are consistent, open and interoperable with evolving Java technologies.

CA's COOL:Joe is a robust, integrated development environment specifically designed to enable customers to get maximum business value from Enterprise JavaBean(TM) technology. COOL:Joe includes support for all leading application servers, including WebLogic, WebSphere, iPlanet, JRun, Oracle9iAS, and JBoss.

''By delivering a fully Java-compatible development environment, CA demonstrates a strong commitment to the Java platform and its technical acumen in the development tools space,'' said Dennis MacNeil, J2EE tools product marketing manager at Sun Microsystems, Inc. ''This gives IT managers total assurance of application portability and compliance with Java technology standards.''

COOL:Joe has been widely acclaimed by analysts and customers alike for its ease of use and full-featured toolkit. It provides an integrated editor and interactive debugger to help accelerate even the most complex eBusiness development projects. It also supports industry-standard UML component modeling to ensure that development teams deliver the application functions that the business actually requires.

''CA's COOL:Joe became our development tool-of-choice because it has helped us move forward with our component-based development strategy,'' said Maurizio Lancia, CIO of Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR), the Italian National Research Council. CNR performs and promotes research activity in all branches of science and technology among institute sites around Italy and with international collaboration. ''It is therefore extremely important to us that CA has demonstrated such diligence in staying in sync with the most recent version of the J2EE spec.''

''By being first-to-market with J2EE v 1.3 compliance in COOL:Joe, CA has again demonstrated our leadership in Java development technology,'' said Wasim Ahmad, vice president, application development, CA. ''We look forward to continuing our matchless support of Java and other high-value development technologies to help our customers build the superior systems they need to achieve eBusiness success.''

COOL:Joe is a key component of CA's information management portfolio, which enables organizations to cohesively manage business information across the extended enterprise. The portfolio includes innovative solutions for end-to-end eBusiness transformation, integration and intelligence.

About Computer Associates

Computer Associates International, Inc. (NYSE: CA - news) delivers The Software That Manages eBusiness. CA's world-class solutions address all aspects of eBusiness process management, information management, and infrastructure management in six focus areas: enterprise management, security, storage, eBusiness transformation and integration, portal and knowledge management, and predictive analysis and visualization. Founded in 1976, CA serves organizations in more than 100 countries, including 99 percent of the Fortune 500 companies. For more information, please visit http://ca.com.

Computer Associates International, Inc. One Computer Associates Plaza, Islandia, N.Y. 11749. All trademarks, trade names, service marks, and logos referenced herein belong to their respective companies.

2. Don't buy anything from these con artists. They will hold you over a barrel any chance they get.
  3. agreed with Chris
  4. Why? what's your bad experience with them? (just curious..)
  5. Be careful with that thinking, I agree I haven't had a bunch of laughs from CA, but Cool:Joe came with the Sterling acquisition a little over a year ago. The group seems to be very helpful.
  6. Can someone confirm the extent of the J2EE support. I know it states 1.3 compliance, but back in the real world...

Does it support JSP 1.2 & Servlet 1.3?

Assuming EJB 2.0 support, does it support message driven beans, local interfaces and full EJB 2.0 CMP with container managed relationships?

Can it debug distributed VMs?

With regard to application server support, does it support WebLogic 6.1? Will it debug JSP, Servlets and EJBs running on the WebLogic Web & EJB containers? (For example Together does not support debugging of JSPs in the WebLogic Web container but through TomCat)

Does it have a GUI builder?

Can it debug JSPs?
  7. Hmmm

I can only conclude from this that either nobody is using this software or it doesn't support any of this stuff?
  8. I can tell by your questions that there is some confusion about exactly what COOL:Joe does. COOL:Joe is an server side J2EE development environment, specifically focused on creating EJBs and deploying them to multiple application servers that comply with the J2EE platform.

EJB 2.0 support, including message driven beans, local interfaces, and full EJB 2.0 CMP is scheduled for a near-term release.

COOL:Joe can debug distributed VMs. In regards to your question about WebLogic, yes the COOL:Joe product supports Weblogic 6.1 as application server for EJBs.

In regards to your GUI builder question? Again, the COOL:Joe product is a server side development tool. It does contain a Web Application Development component that allows the user to develop a first-cut Web Application for local and remote debugging/testing. For a more robust Web Application, COOL:Joe integrates with products like DreamWeaver, where the client application can then be integrated back with the COOL:Joe generated EJBs.

In regards to your debugging questions, here again, with the focus of COOL:Joe being on EJBs, the product offers testing and debugging in that area only.
  9. Meredith,

Thanks for the feedback.

You talk about COOL:Joe as a J2EE 1.3 test suite compatible
    server side tool, with an emphasis on EJB.

EJB 2.0 is part of J2EE 1.3, and while any EJB 2.0 container must also support EJB 1.1 I find it amazing that a tool without full 2.0 support can pass a J2EE 1.3 compatability test.

This is not a reflection on your tool, there isn't as far as I know a tool that has full EJB 2.0 support, but I must question the worth of this J2EE 1.3 compatability suite without EJB 2.0

I'm still a little confused about the level of JSP support. Can you clarify. I'm interested in finding out if JSP debugging in WebLogic is support as well as the standard JSP development support. Are you saying that there is no JSP debugging? If this is the case then it sounds even more like a pure EJB (1.1) development tool, and I'm even more suprised about the J2EE 1.3 pass.

Is there a features list anywhere? I had a quick look on CA's website but couldn't find much.
  10. I was able to locate a product features list at:

http://ca.com/products/cool/cooljoe.htm.

You seem very focused on JSP. Have you done any EJB work yet?
  11. To pass J2EE 1.3 compatibility, Sun requires a development tool's deployment code be linked into their test suite, then run the 10000+ tests against a copy of the J2EE 1.3 RI.

The tests deploys one (or more) EJBs to the RI container, is executed, returns status. They reason that if the devtool can successfully deploy EJBs to the RI, it can deploy to any other J2EE compatible container, ergo... J2EE 1.3 combatible. Sun sets the rules, vendor dev tools must pass all the tests.
  12. Mike,

I don't believe this version of the product is out yet. So I guess, there aren't many using this version yet - rather it appears to be an announcement about a future release.