Sybase offers free dev licence and download of J2EE 1.3 EAServer

Discussions

News: Sybase offers free dev licence and download of J2EE 1.3 EAServer

1. Sybase announced it is making a developer's edition of its Sybase EAServer 4.0, the company's latest J2EE application server, available as a license fee-free download from the web. EAServer 4.0 includes EJB 2.0, Connectors, JMS, Web Server Plug-ins Embedded Install, JDMK API, In-Memory Failover and more.

Which other vendor can match this??

Check out Sybase EAServer Development Edition.

Press Release
    ----------------
    EMERYVILLE, Calif., Oct. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Sybase, Inc., (NYSE: SY - news) today announced it is making a developer's edition of its Sybase® EAServer 4.0, the company's latest enterprise-class application server, available as a license fee-free download from the web. Availability coincides with first shipments of the deployment version of the enhanced e-business application server, which is currently available.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20001013/SYBSLOGO )
    The Developer Edition is available in lieu of Sybase's usual practice of providing evaluation editions of new products with 60-day time limits. The web-accessed version -- a $595 value -- has no time limit, enabling developers to build and test Sybase EAServer applications for free before upgrading to another edition of EAServer. Downloadable platforms include Windows and Solaris only. The Developer Edition is fully featured, but is restricted to five Internet Inter-ORB Protocol (IIOP) connections and requires that the customer buy full use licenses prior to deployment of applications.

The Developer Edition, which can be accessed at www.sybase.com/easerverdev, is one of four editions of EAServer 4.0. The other three are Small Business Edition, Advanced Edition and Enterprise Edition. Upgrades from one edition to the next are nearly seamless. All are versions of a highly scalable, robust application server for developing, building and deploying e-portal and Internet business solutions. EAServer 4.0 provides an industrial strength set of services for developing and deploying Web and distributed applications using core Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE(TM)) standards, including Java Beans and Java Server Pages.

EAServer 4.0 also offers cross-client and cross-component support for almost any type of application based on CORBA, XML, HTML, DHTML, any ActiveX client, PowerBuilder®, COM, C and C++. It provides a single point of integration for heterogeneous back office systems, allowing organizations to leverage existing technology investments. In addition, EAServer 4.0 extends customers' businesses to the Web, where it enables best-of-class transaction and security management and built-in load balancing, failover and high availability, enabling customers to support high trafficked Web sites.

About Sybase, Inc.

Sybase provides enterprise-class software solutions that fuel e-Business and enable access to information anytime, anyplace. With its industry leading Enterprise Portal (EP), mobile and wireless, and vertical market solutions, Sybase is one of the largest global independent software companies in the world. For more information, visit the Sybase Web site: www.sybase.com.

NOTE: Sybase and PowerBuilder are registered trademarks of Sybase, Inc. or its subsidiaries. Java and J2EE are trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Threaded Messages (14)

2. I've always had a soft spot for EA Server - while it has been somewhat top heavy in the past and absurd to upgrade, I am looking forward to trying 4.0. I really like the move to free development use without timing out. Good idea. It will get much more exposure.
  3. Does EAServer include a development IDE?, or any kind of GUI for EJB development/deployment?
  4. Yes and no. Sybase has PowerJ from where you can deploy directly to EAServer. They also released plugins for JBuilder and two other Java tools (not Forte so far :( ).

But you can deploy easily using ANT. And there are rumors that there is more to come of this free stuff......
  5. Which other vendor can match this??

I wish BEA will make WebLogic development lic free someday ;-)
  6. Which other vendor can match this??

Silverstream 3.7.3 developer license is $500 - and it includes an IDE. I was tempted to get the free EAS 4.0, but it does not include PowerJ, which lists for $595 - so SilverStream seems a better deal.
  7. Silverstream 3.7.3 developer license is $500 - and it >>includes an IDE. I was tempted to get the free EAS 4.0, >>but it does not include PowerJ, which lists for $595 - so >>SilverStream seems a better deal.

Silverstream doesn't support EJB 2.0 yet does it? It seems like you may want EA Server so you can get hip on EJB 2.0...just a thought....
  8. EAServer isn't completely ejb2.0 compliant either.
    ejbql and a few other features seem to be missing according to the release note.

still waiting on the linux/ solaris versions.
  9. I wish BEA will make WebLogic development lic free someday ;-)

A new idea ...
  10. The download zip file seems to be corrupted.

I downloaded the 362MB zip file for NT. When unzipped the file was corrupted and pkzip offered to fix it. The fixed file, however, contained a lot of files with hex file names, and 0 size.

Did anyone else run into this?

11. The previous problem must have been an IE problem (IE 5.5 on NT). I downloaded again with Netscape 4.7. Zip file is ok.
  12. Who cares?????????
  13. Posted by George Art 2001-10-08 17:55:31.0.

>>Who cares?????????
    Why wouldn't they care?
  14. why wouldn't they care?

'cos it's from Sybase, duh!
  15. why wouldn't they care?

>'cos it's from Sybase, duh!
    Sorry - I thought you had a real reason!