BEA's Bill Coleman turns over CEO position to Alfred Chuang

Discussions

News: BEA's Bill Coleman turns over CEO position to Alfred Chuang

1. BEA Systems chief executive Bill Coleman (the "B" in BEA) has stepped down to take on a new job as chief strategy officer and continue as chairman. Chief operations officer Alfred Chuang (The "A" in BEA) is now CEO. Analyst firms have said that its lead over rival IBM is shrinking yearly, furthermore, BEA faces some heavyweight challengers in iPlanet and even Oracle. BEA's re-org is aimed at evolving the companies strategy and continueing as the market leader.

Some interesting quotes from the linked article:
    "
    While Chuang will be running the day-to-day operations, Coleman will take on a two-part role. The first, he said, will be to look at where the company will be in two-to-five years, what the challenges are, and how to lead the market. The second job is to work with key partners and customers to set the strategy to keep BEA on top of the application server market.

Therein may lie the biggest challenge facing the company that has led the application server market leader during the past couple of years. Analyst firms have said that its lead over rival IBM is shrinking yearly, and that they expect IBM to surpass BEA as market leader. Furthermore, BEA faces some heavyweight challengers in iPlanet and even Oracle. While both lag behind in the current two-horse race, each is expected to claw more market share in the coming years, according to analysts.
    "

Read BEA's Coleman turns over the reins.
  2. It is an interesting point. The fact that BEA faces more challenges is good for the J2EE community for different reasons: it means that the market is mature, that the clients are there and that many vendors have embraced this technology.
    Those vendors are now ready to compete.

Let’s do not forget that today:
    - Among the different AS, performance is the same if you have one node.
    - EJB 2.0 is there already for BEA, Pramati, EAServer, jBoss+MVCSoft,.. And the list will increase

The question for the big players will be: How can I differentiate my product and my services on a market where in a short period of time, I will have more than 5 players with a J2EE 1.3 compliant server?

IMHO, 2 options:
    Technically, AS vendors need:
    - To compete in the fields not addressed by the specification: Clustering (Vert. And Horonz.), Ease of Deployment/Update/Whatever, Administration (TX/sec, graph pool, memory management, …), Testing, GUI tool (I like the TogetherJ approach BTW), …

And of course at the commercial level, at the marketing level:
    - Free developer license (EAServer, WebSphere: 6months, jBoss: free anyway, IONA: cheap), free for non-commercial application (?), support, build a community (Have a look at the jBoss community…), …
    - Alliances, Lower prices

As a TM, you ask yourself, what brings me the real e-advantage? If I have to build a reliable system, I will focus mainly on all the non-addressed issues of the spec as I said earlier. But I want my product to still be J2EE compliant!

I would like to know your thoughts on how to try to lead the J2EE market over the next years?

Thierry
    janaudy at yahoo dot com

PS: I am not working for any J2EE vendor
  3. I would like to add to the previous comment that as an J2EE IT developer i would also expect the adpotion of some distributed data caching into Application-servers.
    Entity state synchronization is a common challenge to many developers and i supose most of us would like a solution well integrated with our current AS/DB stacks.

Yuval.

4. As Frank R. suggested, the battle is also against .NET.
    Therefore, the standardisation around WebServices (XML, UDDI, SOAP, WSDL, …) is obviously a must.
    Also, the Adoption of JDK 1.4 as the mandatory runtime environment for AS will help the runtime environment to be more "common": I/O, XML Apis, Security (JSSE, JAAS, Kerberos, ..)
    … and so on,

T
  5. In fact for <b>deployed</b> J2EE applications, BEA's market share is growing:

"Research conducted by leading industry analyst firm META Group shows that BEA holds 37% of the market for deployed Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) application servers, a figure that is almost 70% higher than its closest competitor. These results come from a META Group survey of over 200 IT decision-makers, focused specifically on managers and executives responsible for selecting and deploying J2EE applications servers.

Market share by vendor for deployed J2EE application servers:
    BEA - 37%
    IBM - 22%

Market share by vendor for deployed applications leveraging EJBs:
    BEA - 52%
    IBM - 14%

More at http://www.bea.com/about/meta_survey/index.shtml