Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: The .NET THREAT

1. The .NET THREAT (3 messages)

The .NET platform seems to be a very intelligent move by MicroSoft. I cant believe they want to go head to head with Java, immediately. It seems to me they want to swallow the small to mid-size market, with a language that Java developers can pick up quickly.

Any company that buys into .NET will be forced to be a complete Microsoft shop, from DB to IDE. They may gain the majority of small businesses in a few years and become a strong contender in the mid-size market. As their platform improves and their products gain supporters they will move to larger companies and invade the Java stronghold.

Universites and technical schools will produce a mixed array of Java and C# developers. Most developers will have to be familiar with both languages. Most smaller companies will see the .NET THREAT as a cost-effective alternative. With their GUI tools, and overly simplified apps, many beginners will flock to them.

They will enter the ring with Java a strong contender to the Heavyweight champion.

My question, is this accurate? If so, how will Java supporters respond?

-farhad

Threaded Messages (3)

2. The .NET THREAT[ Go to top ]

You Java zealots crack me up. why is .NET a THREAT to you?

If you like Java and J2EE, then go ahead and use it!

From the industry's perspective, so far, .NET is a very interesting platform from Microsoft. It remains to be seen how rapidly it will be adopted, and if it will deliver what people want.

When you say "Anyone that buys into .NET will be forced..." that is complete hooey. In fact .NET is the most connected developer platform to ever come out of Redmond. Heterogeneous interop was the #1 concern, hence the focus on XML Web Services (based on standards). Microsoft regularly participates in the "interop tests" that bring together the various players to verify that Web Services really do work together.

Microsoft has customers today who are using Oracle or DB2 as their database, with .NET framework. There are people building ASP.NET on the Apache web server. Expect to see .NET class support for IBM MQSeries and other middleware.

If you don't like the VS.NET IDE, don't use it! The .NET SDK is available, free (though you must pay the cost of using it on Windows). It includes 4 command-line compilers, a debugger, and other tools. There is a C# mode for emacs if you like. There are 3rd party editors and IDEs, some free.

So unless you hate to see *anything* good come out of Redmond, .NET is not a threat.

Seems to me the biggest threat is to existing MS COM developers - .NET is a pretty clear indication that their skills need an update. But even here, the threat is not particular to .NET. Regardless of your current skills, if you are not learning, you're dying. especially in software.

Stay well.
  3. The .NET THREAT[ Go to top ]

Feh. .NET is good technology, but so what? That's not all it takes to penetrate this market; think of how long it's taken Java to gain acceptance in the first place, and what a rocky road it's been.

Problem one: .NET sits on the IIS server, which no one trusts anymore. Who wants to download new security patches every week? Even the Gartner Group says ditch it until MS does a complete rebuild, and does anyone realistically think that they're going to "get" security within the next two years? Especially on a closed-source model.

Problem two: to get acceptance, .NET has to work with Java -- that's why Microsoft's putting its toe in the water with JSharp and all that. But Java developers all know that impure Java is not Java (look how unconvinced they've been with MVJ++ for anything but a home page applet); we've had years now to appreciate the issues involved. So the only way Microsoft can support Java on the business side is to support real Java, and they're not going to slit their own throats that way.

Problem three: .NET is hugely interoperable; it has to be. SOAP for all its defects is a cool, cool thing, and my EJB solution can talk via SOAP to some other guy's BizTalk server. So the classic decision is going to be: I might use part of .NET to make a SOAP client for Windows XP users, but I certainly won't bet my business on IIS on the back end.

My biggest hope is that the .NET "threat" will force Sun to move a little faster on XML interconnectivity standards; getting JAXM together for example. If it also means they'll have to do more with JDO or JINI to appeal to the not-quite-ready-for-EJB market, all the better. In the end, .NET looks scarier than it does because Microsoft is scary, and when you hear that Microsoft has put its full energy behind something you assume they can't lose. But this is a very different playing field from what icons are on some user's desktop, and the rules are very much in Sun's favor.

- Jim
  4. The .NET THREAT[ Go to top ]

A good comment to Microsoft,hope to read more.