Discussions

News: Wakesoft Launches Out-of-the-Box J2EE Architecture

1. Wakesoft today announced the availability of the Wakesoft Architecture Server, an out-of-the-box J2EE application architecture solution. This offering takes a different approach to rapid application development (RAD): Rather than offering GUI-based code generators, Wakesoft provides a best practice J2EE-based architectural framework.

Press Release
    ----------------
    SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 29, 2001--Wakesoft, the J2EE Architecture Authority(TM), today announced the availability of the Wakesoft Architecture Server(TM), a J2EE application architecture solution for companies building J2EE applications.

Designed to reduce the complexity and time to build enterprise business applications on the J2EE platform, the Wakesoft Architecture Server provides an ''out-of-the-box'' architecture that allows users to focus on building business applications rather than application architecture. Wakesoft's solution has been built over the last 24 months with three development partners who have successfully deployed multiple projects and applications with Wakesoft. The Wakesoft Architecture Server reduces the cost of developing enterprise J2EE applications by up to 40 percent.

''J2EE is quickly becoming a de facto standard for eBusiness applications, yet in reality building applications in J2EE is extremely challenging,'' said Rikki Kirzner, Research Director for leading industry analyst research firm International Data Corporation. ''J2EE developers routinely spend many hours building and rebuilding the architecture for applications -- which is a drain of time and resources.''

Endorsed by Sun Microsystems' J2EE BluePrints team, the Wakesoft Architecture Server uses Sun's J2EE Blueprints Design Patterns in combination with other J2EE best practices. The Wakesoft solution is a reusable, open and extensible product that can be modified or extended to meet changing business and technical requirements. Building on the Wakesoft application architecture ensures uniform application structure across and within projects which results in increased ROI for future application development.

''The Wakesoft Architecture Server is, by far, the best product available to both jump start our J2EE efforts and provide a long term solution to our architecture problems,'' said Carlos Portal, director of applications, at Ensera, a marketplace that is successfully streamlining the $20B automotive collision repair industry. ``We are aggressively building applications, confident that our architecture will scale seamlessly.''

''At Wakesoft, we believe that many companies have yet to tap the tremendous power of J2EE for application development because they are hampered by the complexity involved,'' said Krishna Gollamudi, President of Wakesoft. ''We designed the Wakesoft Architecture Server to help companies stay focused on their core business, and to leave the application architecture level development aside. Our customers tell us that this product saved them critical time and resources that they devoted to writing infrastructure code instead of writing the application code that is critical to their businesses.''

The Wakesoft Architecture Server

Designed for any company building J2EE applications, the Wakesoft solution is well suited to both experienced J2EE teams, and teams that are new to J2EE technologies and its complexities. Additionally, Wakesoft enables less experienced developers to become proficient with J2EE in a matter of days as opposed to months.

Product features of the Wakesoft Architecture Server include:

Proven, ''out-of-the-box'' J2EE architecture solution available for immediate use
    Reduces cost of developing J2EE applications by up to 40 percent
    Open, extensible and reusable architecture easily modified
    Implements Sun's J2EE BluePrints best practices and other development strategies
    Standardizes code across and within applications
    Generates applications that are easier to maintain by separating business logic from application infrastructure
    Pricing and Availability

The Wakesoft Architecture Server is now available for general release. Introductory pricing is $14,000 per CPU.

About Wakesoft

Wakesoft is a provider of application architecture products designed to simplify and speed the way companies build and extend J2EE applications. The Wakesoft Architecture Server is the only complete J2EE architecture solution that implements and supports proven best practices including Sun's J2EE BluePrints. Wakesoft provides an open and extensible application architecture that lets J2EE developers ''get it right the first time.'' The Wakesoft Architecture Server seamlessly integrates with any existing J2EE environment including IDEs, modeling tools, and testing suites. Customers use the Wakesoft Architecture Server to build enterprise level Java and XML applications across many vertical markets and industries including financial services, manufacturing and pharmaceutical/biotechnology.

For more information about Wakesoft or the Wakesoft Architecture Server, contact the company at 415-281-0300 or visit the Web site at www.wakesoft.com.

2. This news release brings back some interesting questions with regards to RAD, and the nature of reuse within the J2EE industry.

Which is your preferred aproach to RAD: Wizard generators or code frameworks?

Does reuse in our industry occur more frequently with components (which has been the J2EE value proposition from the start) or frameworks (such as Wakesoft, Struts, Log4J, etc)???
  3. As per my experience, most of the reuse happens through frameworks and not software components. Component based architectures have many benifits, but component reuse, even across departmental groups don't seem to happen very much in reality.

Pranab
  4. 'Does reuse in our industry occur more frequently with components (which has been the J2EE value proposition from the start) or frameworks (such as Wakesoft, Struts, Log4J, etc)???'

Confining my comments to business domain and persistence layer reuse.

Attempts within an enterprise to re-use business domain components (customer, account, etc.) are mis-guided. A company only needs one customer component, one G/L component, etc. What they need to do is reuse what these components do, i.e service reuse.

The second important aspect to reuse is to clearly separate what is business domain specific, from what is business domain non-specific. This what frameworks do, or at least should do. It is an often quoted statistic that 70% of the code in a business application exists to solve problems not specific to the business domain - logging, security, billing, diagnostics, etc (and implementing patterns?). Implementing these in a framework such that they can be 'reused' by those solving business problems can substantially reduce development effort.

There are several companies taking the services framework route to reuse, including HP-Bluestone and our company at www.enba.com.sg. Note, these frameworks are not base classes. They are more like operating systems - hiding complexities and transparently invoking services.

Its not clear to me what the Wakesoft Architecture Server is, over and above base classes that implement well know patterns. I failed to find a high level descripion of what the product does and how it works. Some architecture digrams showing how the pieces fit together would be nice. Maybe someone could post a link.

Phil
  5. Phil,

You bring up some good points. The two levels of re-use that you mention are accurate. The service level reuse is the realm of web services and higher level components. But these services and components still need to be constructed. Wakesoft believes that both types of re-use should take place: structure applications to be accessible as a service, and build those applications with reusable frameworks.

The Wakesoft product provides frameworks that address application development for the presentation, business logic, and integration application layers. These frameworks encapsulate complexity by providing a service like interface - they encapsulate the complexity of the operation involved and transparently invoke services. They also do provide base classes if you wish to extend the framework behavior.

There is more documentation on the way. This should be on our website sometime soon.

Thanks for the good feedback,

Walter Hurst
    Wakesoft CTO
  6. From their website:

"You wouldn't think of building your own application server. Why would you build your own application architecture?"

I guess we don't need application architects anymore. Everyone with "architect" in their job title better find a new job.
  7. AAAAhhhhhhh... But who will architect the architecture architectures?...
  8. This is an interesting attempt to put a "frame work" around some of the well-known design artifacts. This move was to be expected, though I thought it would come from the JCP.

I find the product name misleading. Architecture is a solution crafting discipline that's finding its way, you just can't get that out of a box.

Furthermore, reuse can only begin to happen when the project environment is stable. I guess the upcoming generation of development tools will tell us if this was a good idea or not.

I think that Architects will be needed more than ever.
  9. Wakesoft is a developer focused product - we believe in Java and J2EE and that Java application developers should have better products.

From my experience as the technical architect on many projects there was always too much to do and not enough time to get everything done. By using Wakesoft, the architect has the time to focus on the unique challenges of their application or environment. Meanwhile, the development team is working away and isn't waiting for the architect to make the usual application decisions - how do I persist objects, what structure should my UI have, how to I make sure that the developers are following a common approach building business logic, etc.

We want the architect to be our friend. Let us know what you think so that we can improve our product. A good relationship.

Walter Hurst
    Wakesoft CTO
  10. Thanks everybody for your questions and comments about the Wakesoft product. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. And stop by to check out our website - we have many things going on and would like you to be involved.

Walter Hurst
    Wakesoft CTO
  11. They are just using bunch of buzzwords thats it. Even workflow "engine" in their product is too primitive.
    And they charging for this kind of product 14K$ per CPU !
  12. Just try to compare this product with "true" frameworks like IBM San Fransico or Apple Web Objects and you will see difference.