TSS Tech Talk: Rickard Oberg on open source, RMI, XML and more

Discussions

News: TSS Tech Talk: Rickard Oberg on open source, RMI, XML and more

1. TheServerSide is happy to announce that the latest video interview in our Hard Core Tech Talk series as been posted. Rickard Oberg, of open source JBoss fame discusses presentation layer frameworks, XML, RMI, IIOP controversy, J2EE project management best practices, building a J2EE build system, and the nature and future of open source in our industry.

Watch Rickard Oberg on hard core J2EE topics.

Feel free to discuss this interview here.

Threaded Messages (23)

2. Are transcripts going to be made available of the TSS Tech Talks?
  3. A text format is more fit for those who's mother language is not English
  4. We have no plans to make transcripts available (producing these video's were hard enough:) ). However if any of our members would like to volunteer... :)

Floyd
  5. I have no plans to volunteer unless you put my company add on the page instead ejb iceberg ;-).

I have also no plans and no real possiblity to watch video, and I believe I am not alone, so your hard effort to make interview is partially lost.
  6. I think it is however a great opportunity to see some faces behind the important names in this community and let them express freely ideas that otherwise would probably get lost in the "noise" of the message boards. And the videos can also transmit some of the passion and be inspirational for other people. Slowly we will have to upgrade the technology to the long awaited rich media content...only a few years ago I was still "browsing" with lynx...
  7. I don't think anyone is arguing against the videos - and certainly it can be a more effective way to receive some types of information.

However, TSS is alienating a great deal of their user base by not providing transcripts of the videos.
  8. Guys,

I appreciate your concerns. Of course I want this content to reach as many as possible. Have you tried the 56K stream? Why is it not a 'possibility' to watch the videos?

We went to great cost and effort to create the 20 video's you will see over the next 4 months, to provide a transcript would undermine the video itself - why watch the video when you can just read the transcript in half the time?

We do plan to start hosting interview transcripts (not of these video's), or audio interviews, but it's too costly to host multiple types of the same interview. I apologize if this has inconvenienced anyone.

Floyd
  9. Are there any plans to have the interviews playable
    in other formats then Microsoft Mplay? At least when
    I click on the interview, I am invited to download the
    mplay (Microsoft) plugin...

Are RealNetworks formats going to be supported? This may
    expand the audience.

Noel.
  10. Floyd,

Someone in this thread has mentioned the posibility of readers in others languages than English. I haven't seen any of the videos yet, and I think they are a great idea, but usually the quality of the sound of this kind of videos make it hard to non english speakers to understand what they are saying. So please, consider making transcripts of the videos so people from other countries can leverage your effort.

Thanks
  11. Having seen the videos myself, I would agree with those who underly the usefulness of also having transcripts.

>We went to great cost and effort to create the 20 video's
    >you will see over the next 4 months, to provide a
    >transcript would undermine the video itself - why watch
    > the video when you can just read the transcript in half
    > the time?

To me this is the reason for providing a transcript: you get to the content much faster, which surely is a good thing.
    The video has entertainement value for the first minute. But given how static the background is and how broken the video stream ends up (at 56k), one quickly gets tired of it (nothing personal Rickard).

12. Guys,

We will seriously consider providing transcripts, it is a resource issue more than anything else. No promises, but we will do our best.

Floyd
  13. However, I am still looking forward to continue to watch the videos. It is the talk that counts. Somehow people tend to keep the messages simpler and more straight. Watching a video gives me a much welcomed alternative to reading as this is what I do most during the day.

/Markus
  14. Floyd,

I can not watch the interview since I access TSS usually from work site where I do not have proper audio setup. Obviously it is not appropriate to listen loud to interview, when the person at next desk, tries to pinpoint the bug.

Michael
  15. Is it possible in the future that these interviews would be offered also in just one piece ?
  16. Rickard said that "the reason for using RMI/IIOP
    is not technical". Is it possible to propagate
    the transaction content over RMI/JRMP?

Luoh Ren-Shan
  17. Sure is. There are several ways to do it. You can do as JBoss, and use a tunneling technique. Then you can add whatever you want, basically. You can also implement your own socket factories that add custom context information. Or, you can use the (somewhat hidden) context API in RMI. The last option I have described more in this article:
    http://www.dreambean.com/articles/ctxrmi/docs/index.html

/Rickard
  18. Are there RMI binding to other then Java ?
    How do you implement mixed language clients with RMI
    ( No JNI please )
  19. For non-Java clients you would use RMI/IIOP or SOAP.

/Rickard
  20. OK, simple is good. SOAP is simple while EJB via RMI technology isn't quite as simple, at least not for most developers...

Taking this into account, do you think that SOAP "replace" EJB via RMI as protocol between presentation layer and logic/data layer and not only as a integration protocol between organizations? Or is EJB via RMI feature list too strong to be threatened by todays SOAP standard?

I believe SOAP will take some territory in a mixed Microsoft and Java solution, but will it beat EJB via RMI in a pure Java environment just for its simplicity?

Mvh
    /Anders Eriksson
  21. Anders,

For intra-app purposes, where the presentation layer and logic/data layer is "close" (i.e. servlets talking to EJB's) I don't think SOAP will be interesting. It's too verbose. Instead you will use either the servers' native protocol (be it IIOP, JRMP, or whatever), or use the EJB's in-VM without any network protocol at all (this is very common).

For inter-app purposes (i.e. integration scenarios), and where you have clients that are not "close" (e.g. applets), this is where SOAP becomes interesting, due to its ability to go through firewalls (yes, it's madness that we have to rely on HTTP-based protocols to get around our sys-admins, but c'est la vie), and since you don't have to care about what the client is (see the recent interview with the Silverstream guy about clients).

Other than that, only the future will tell :-)

/Rickard
  22. Is the transcript of interviews will be posted in the TSS? Without transcript it's useless.
  23. I'm comparing various MVC jsp-servlet based frameworks for our development team. Where can I get more info on Webwork? Is it ready to use or in design?

Thanks,

js
  24. WebWork can be found at sf.net/projects/webwork. There's an RC2 out now, but an RC3 will be out soon. There's been a couple of important changes since RC2.

/Rickard