Announcing EJBCreator 0.3

Discussions

News: Announcing EJBCreator 0.3

1. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3 (28 messages)

EJBCreator 0.3 was released today. EJBCreator is a GUI-based tool that generates source code skeletons for EJB 2.0 beans, value ojbects, primary keys, ejb-jar.xml files and even Ant build files.

More information can be found on the web-site http://opensource.itplus.dk/EJBCreator/.

EJBCreator is currently able to generate source code skeletons for:

o Entity beans
     o Session beans
     o Session Synchronized beans
     o Message-driven beans (EJB 2.0 mode)
     o Value objects
     o Primary keys
     o Ant build files
     o ejb-jar.xml files

EJBCreator doesn't depend on a specific J2EE application server, since all code is generated based on the Enterprise JavaBeans specification standard.

EJBCreator is released under the GNU Public License (GPL).

Threaded Messages (28)

2. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

This tool is very good for automating task of creating
    stub code for EJB(session, entity, Message driven
    bean)... It also generates sample ant build file for
    building the ejb and provide facility to put
    your custom headers and indentation in the code...

Minor nuisance might be that the code generator seem to always generate code for all the beans in a fixed directory and the code uses Unix line demitter by default(for Windows based developer)..
  3. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

Please file bug-reports to http://bugs.itplus.dk/
    Hope that you can live with it untill we get it fixed.
  4. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

It would be great if there were "plugin" modules that built the vendor specific deployment descriptors (e.g. weblogic-ejb-jar.xml, ejb-inprise.xml, ...)
  5. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

This is scheduled for release in version 0.5 (Q1/2002).
    If you want to help out with a specific application server feel free to contact me.
  6. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

this tools seems to be fine.. but can anyone tell.. where the documentation for this tool can be found.

thanks in advance.
    shiv
  7. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

this tools seems to be fine.. but can anyone tell.. where the documentation for this tool can be found.

thanks in advance.
    shiv
  8. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

The only documentation for the tool is in the USAGE file.
    We are currently working on some XML based documentation (online / PDF), but don't hold your breath for it.
  9. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

A (free) alternative is also http://beust.com/cedric/ejbgen

--
    Cedric
  10. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

any tools available for EJB1.1?

11. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

try EJBWizard
    http://www.mousetech.com/EJBWizard.html
  12. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

Reji,

You should try FrontierSuite from ObjectFrontier for Ejb 1.1. FrontierSuite is a MDA based platform where you can generate code for Java, EJB 1.1 and EJB 2.0 applications.

www.objectfrontier.com
  13. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

You can start EJBCreator in EJB-1.1 mode: ./run.sh -ejb11
  14. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

dfgd
  15. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

Can anyone tell where to find the documentation for this tool ???
  16. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

I havent tried this coz of the fact that I am very much comfortable with TogetherJ which has much more better features as described of EJBCreator 0.3. Do try TogetherJ, I am really impressed by this tool.
  17. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    I havent tried this coz of the fact that I am very much comfortable with TogetherJ which has much more better features as described of EJBCreator 0.3. Do try TogetherJ, I am really impressed by this tool.
    </quote>

TogetherJ costs far too much unless you have a nice company that will buy it for you.
  18. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

Last I checked TogetherJ didn't do EJB 2.0 entity CMP. Have they fixed this yet?
  19. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

This sounds somewhat like what XDoclet does as well. Is that true? If so, EJBCreator has the "plus" of providing a GUI.
  20. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

I have tried it and it is great. I have been searching for a tool like this for a while now and I don't want to pay for TogetherJ just to get the deployment support.

How about a plugin for Forte??
    -- Lei
  21. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

A plugin for Netbeans is on our TODO list.
  22. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

That is true that EJBCreator is somewhat like XDoclet (version 0.5 will be). The main difference is that EJBCreator is based on a XML format that is passed between the different components (GUI, generators, validators). You could write UML GUI plugin to EJBCreator if you wanted too.
  23. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

Looks like a nice tool!
  24. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

I have tried entering CMP relationships but the code don't seem to be getting generated in the files. Also the dd's aren't picking up the name of the bean (which you should be able to set different from the class name).
  25. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

We have no problems with CMR -- please post an example on http://bugs.itplus.dk/
  26. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

TogetherJ only support MDB's. It does not support CMP 2.0, local interfaces, CMR etc.

From what I can see EJBGEN and XDOCLET generate the home and remote and deployment descriptors from your bean implementation.

EJBCreator provides a GUI to generate all classes. this is nice than having to code the bean implementation first.

Also, EJBGEN abd XDOCLET rely on maintaining all the information that is required to generate the other files (home, remote, descriptors) as javadoc comments in the bean implenentation. This means having to maintain what is intended to be declarative in the very source file that declarative programming avoid you having to change. Nasty.
  27. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

try Arcstyler for full MDA Support
    www.arcstyler.com

Paul
  28. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

i tried it -- it is simple , easy to use and does what it says. Saed me hours of time with the ejb stubs. GPL rules !
  29. Announcing EJBCreator 0.3[ Go to top ]

Excellent job! Someone else remarked that it would be great to add 'plug-ins' to allow different app server tabs... Could help tremendously.

I also agree on the price on these tools just to do EJB. Until Sun and their partners realize that .NET's entire platform is gonna be under $2K for the entire development environment, good J2EE tools will be out of reach for many development teams. Why should I pay $2,500 for an IDE, $5,000 for a UML tool, $2,500 for an app server?

Thanks again!!!