Does a WebSphere server have any place in modern software architectures?

Discussions

News: Does a WebSphere server have any place in modern software architectures?

WebSphere has always been slagged for being too big, too slow and too monolithic, but that hasn't stopped IBM's flagship server-side software from being deployed successfully to banks, governments and financial institutions across the globe. Maybe WebSphere consultants are more low-key type of folk compared to those people doing micro-services work, or those developers creating open source cloud computing software. But the fact is, WebSphere gets relatively little press. Does that indicate that its relevance is diminishing?

Insights from the inside

We spoke with Simon Maple from ZeroTurnaround a little while ago. Actually, it was a bit more than 'a little', but that's not a particularly pertinent fact. Maple used to work for IBM at the Hursley Lab, and we always got the impression that he was a fan of what IBM was doing on the WebSphere front. So now that he's traded in his IBM badge for keys to the ZeroTurnaround building, we figured he'd be a fairly honest resource to go to for some straight talk about IBM and their WebSphere family of products.

To hear what Simon has to say about the role of WebSphere in modern, server-side architectures, download the podcast of our conversation:

TheServerSide interview with ZT’s Simon Maple

There’s more to the podcast than just the discussion of monolithic application servers. We addressed the question as to whether the ESB is dead, who the winners and losers are when Docker and Kubernetes goes mainstream, what’s new and cool in terms of the Internet of Things, and of course, some discussion of the tools ZeroTurnaround sells, namely XRebel  and JRebel. A write up of the conversation can be found here:

Productivity tools in growing lightweight architectures

In case you haven’t heard enough…

By the way, Simon has often been a bit of a go-to-guy at TheServerSide, as he’s always good for an expert quote or two. For more insights from the man whose name makes you want to order some pancakes, look no further:

Why not follow Cameron McKenzie (@potemcam) and Simon Maple (@sjmaple) on Twitter?

Tell us what you think of the role of WebSphere in 2015. Leave a comment below.

Threaded Messages (2)

2. The trouble with IBM[ Go to top ]

The name itself (IBM) sells. Decisions are not made by developers (which may be both good and bad) and big name probably delivers some assurances (not necessarily solutions to problems). Me coming from developer world... I've met minimum people who liked anything about IBM's appserver. The were late with Java version support, big (in a wrong way), lazy, needed restart often, etc. Many of these may be based on feelings too, but that's what this software generates. IBM sticker on it is not the reason for the feelings, at least not necessarily. If you were "lucky" enough to have your app backed by DB2 with its absolutely unfriendly errors you had no other choice but to hate the company that delivers this.

Yeah, things are complicated and sometimes you need some training for it, but this was simply enough. I'm actually surprised that WAS Liberty supports Java EE 7 already and can run with Java 8. This is a big step forward. But I'd rather not test it unless it's unleashed on me by some manager who knows better - just for the history of their product.

And there is more. Any time I tried to find something relevant, info from their documentation pages were virtually un-googlable (maybe it changed in last 3 years, I don't know, and - again - I don't care). I'm surprised that IBM is such a big contributor to OSS, because the rest of the culture is just so "closed" in the mindset. When I needed to learn something about AWS I could just enter my problem and push Feeling Lucky button (not using it, but I could). With IBM you have to go to their page and deal with their search that simply does not deliver (maybe for simplest cases, but problems are not of this type).

It's not like I hate IBM, I simply don't believe "them". There are exceptions and I can see any presentation by Holly Cummings for instance. IBM in many other areas I highly respect. But their SW culture is kinda strange. Yeah, I forgot to mention I was forced to use Lotus too. Not as a developer (that's belivers sort of guys), but as normal user. Too many bad experiences for one company. I'd fear unnecessary (but perfectly explained) complexity in anything they create. It's not the "monolith" thing itself that is wrong...

3. Pile of shit[ Go to top ]

WAS ND is a horrible app server - ancient libraries clobbered into it´s classloaders (aspectj, commons-*, etc, etc), as was mentioned ancient JDK levels - and they are usually last to implement spec levels.

Reporing support cases is equally horrible (if you ever get through to somebody who *actually* understands your reported problem - even if handed on a silverplate as a github project w/ unit-test).

Third - documentation stinks!

The only good part of WAS is actuallt the JTA transaction manager - the rest is just old, expensive crap that will make you immensly inefficient in delivering working code.