Java EE vs Java SE: Has Oracle Given up on Enterprise Software?

Discussions

News: Java EE vs Java SE: Has Oracle Given up on Enterprise Software?

1. Java Enterprise Edition is one the biggest sources for confusion in the worldwide Java community. Even if you’re experienced with developing for EE, the complete picture is often still fuzzy. In this post, we’re taking in all recent news and taking a closer look at Java EE to clear out the fog.

Continue reading

2. Maybe the relevant question is whether enterprises have given up on JEE. JEE has become a mish mash of different technologies thinly unified under a umbrella specification. With the demise of EJB and the large application servers such as weblogic, it seems the industry has moved on from JEE as a standard.

3. I don't think so. I'm still using Java EE everywhere, and there is no alternative to me. I don't see this "demise". Java EE isn't a thin specification (did you ever read it). EJBs are still used a lot (and useful), even if parts of it have shifted to CDI (part of Java EE), which I see as a technical detail. The industry didn't move away.

4. I am sure JEE is still being used and I worked in Oracle shops using webloigic and Oracle RDBMS. These shops tend to be heavily invested in JEE. However once you step outside of these shops and look at cloud based microservices, JEE drops off the map. Restful web services don't require the full soup to nuts JEE application servers and I doubt there are many AWS customers running weblogic or glassfish. I haven't seen any new "green field" development where EJB is chosen over lighter weight alternatives. Usually only parts of JEE exist in these envrionments, such as Servlets and JMS, but even these have been replaced with other alternatives. Basically I do not see JEE leading the way to either spec'ing or providing implementations for cloud based installations running at large scales.