Yesterday, Liferay announced general availability of Liferay Portal 6.1 Enterprise Edition. Liferay has two offerings in the portal market, Liferay Portal CE and Liferay Portal EE, with the CE version being available from SourceForge, and the EE version coming with a price tag.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
What are the new features of Liferay 6.1? The listing below quotes the items that were promoted in the press release. But for my money, the real noteworthy feature of Liferay Portal is how easy it is to install, and how feature full the product is once you get it installed and configured.
The CE version is only about 250 megs in size. Compare that to WebSphere Portal offerings that are about 25 CDs in size. And the installation process is little more than a double-click if you’ve got a JRE installed and a JAVA_HOME configured. I’ve put together two videos, both of which are less than ten minutes in length. The first one shows you just how easy it is to download and install Liferay 6.1 CE, and the second goes over a few of my favorite out-of-the-box features that are packed inside of the Liferay install.
Speaking of the Liferay 6.1 EE press release, here are some of the new features that were highlighted in the press release:
· New Liferay Sync: Document sharing becomes a seamless experience with online and offline synchronization to desktop and mobile devices.
· Third-party Integration: Documents can be accessed in one place through enterprise integration with Documentum, SharePoint, and other popular third-party CMIS repositories.
· Advanced Content Management: Drag-and-drop document and media libraries centralize and simplify content management.
· Dynamic Video and File Previews: Users can preview documents, images and videos before downloading them.
· User Customizable Sites: Administrators can now designate certain pages and sections of a page to be personalized by users.
· Multiple Website Versions: Multiple site versions can be edited simultaneously and scheduled for publication.
· Affiliated Sites Management: Liferay pages and websites maintain links to their original site templates, making it easier to propagate changes to associated sites and pages.
· New Workflow and Forms Designers: Business users can use these powerful visual editors to create web forms and workflows interactively in the browser.
· User Data Lists: Users can create custom lists online that can be tied to form submissions to model business processes such as inventory management, vacation requests, or sales order submissions.
· Advanced Workflow: Workflow processes can be applied to documents to enhance and automate approval and editing processes.