ORA-12154

Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: ORA-12154

1. ORA-12154 (1 messages)

Friends,

I have a J2EE application which consists of Servlets,JSP's and Java classes.

I use classes12.zip as typeII driver and WebLogic6.1 with Sun Solaris 8.

The application contacts the tnsnames.ora file and gets access to database(Oracle 8.1.6)

My Problem ----------

When I start the server, It works fine for 70-100 hrs properly. Suddenly, I get ORA-12154 error and my users can't login into the application.When I restart the server,this problem will not come for another 70-100 hrs. Why it happens?Anyone can please advice me? Thanks Lawrence

Threaded Messages (1)

2. ORA-12154[ Go to top ]

Hi,
      Oracle suggests the following actions because of this error.

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
     Cause: Net8 could not locate the net service name specified in the TNSNAMES.ORA configuration file.

Actions:

Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and that it is accessible.

Verify that there are not multiple copies of the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

In your TNSNAMES.ORA file, verify that the net service name specified in your connect string is mapped to a connect descriptor in the TNSNAMES.ORA file. Also, verify that there are no syntax errors in the file.

Verify that there are no duplicate copies of the SQLNET.ORA file.

If you are using domain names, verify that your SQLNET.ORA file contains a NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN parameter. If this parameter does not exist, you must specify the domain name in your connect string.

If you are not using domain names, and this parameter exists, delete it or disable it by commenting it out.

If you are connecting from a login dialog box, verify that you are not placing an "@" symbol before your connect net service name.

Activate client tracing and re-execute the operation.

However, incase you've tried out all of these, the last thing I can think of is...Is the server having the TNSNAME.ORA getting recycled after some time? For some reason this file is not available and hence the problem, I think...

Thanks
    Ansu