J2EE vs .NET

Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: J2EE vs .NET

1. J2EE vs .NET (10 messages)

I have worked with J2EE (WebLogic Server) for about 1.5 years and also worked with WinDNA and .NET for about 1.5 years. It seems to me as if .NET is superiour in performance, scalability etc. It is also alot cheaper! The facts that supports this is to be found at www.tpc.org (tpc-c). COM+ comes in as no 1,2,4,5 ... Do WebSphere, WebLogic Server and the others are not even on the map! The reason I can see for choosing J2EE instead of .NET is availability and if I run, for instance, in a Unix or mainframe environment. I would really like to here some pros & cons etc. why I should pick J2EE instead of .NET?

Threaded Messages (10)

2. J2EE vs .NET[ Go to top ]

Yawn ---there should be a FAQ with this one. :) Look in the resources there's a paper about this on this site.

Anyhow, here is my 2c worth...

First, you are asking this question is a group that likely will have a bias toward J2EE.

Second, your assessment looks essentially correct to me: COM+ has better speed while J2EE has platform independence. Dot Net is too recent for me to have an informed opinion.

Third, for a mature company these things matter little because few can really pick a technology merely on merit. Existing investments in hardware, software and the technical staff's existing skill set usually make switching to a newer (and supposedly better) platform too expensive a proposition.

Fourth, as a programmer you can make a great living by becoming an expert in either. In order to become a senior technical resource, you'll have to excel at non-technical skills as well (communications, business knowledge, etc.). The more senior you are the more important the non-technical skills become. Of course, in your early years of your career, it is good to thoroughly understand the habits of successful programming and to learn the full life-cycle of a project.
  3. J2EE vs .NET[ Go to top ]

Cheaper? Orion can be licensed for $1500/server, and it's low price says nothing about its quality. Orion is good enough for Oracle to package it as "their" app server with their J2EE package. See orionserver.com for details.

And tell me, where are the open-source implementations of dot net? Oh right, there aren't any! With J2EE, we have not one but several open-source choices available.
  4. J2EE vs .NET[ Go to top ]

And tell me, where are the open-source implementations

>> of dot net?

Sigh. That's why these discussion are SO unproductive. Usually, proponents for one side knows SOOO little about the other side.

There are actually several open-source implementations of dot net, e.g. http://www.go-mono.com/.

>> Cheaper?

Comparing $/tpmC J2EE seems to be 2-10 more expensive than DOT NET.

I do not want to be DOT NET's defender here. Both J2EE and DOT NET have compeling features, as the white papers on this site and on Roger Sessions' http://www.objectwatch.com point out.

As I said earlier, which one gets selected at a particular company is usually a function of existing investments in hardware or software, the technical staff's existing skill set, etc.

These discussions of which platform is best are not a productive use of time. Almost everything in software design revolves around trade-offs and the choice of a platform is no different.
  5. J2EE vs .NET[ Go to top ]

.Net cheaper? Whud can be cheaper than free? ;)

6. J2EE vs .NET[ Go to top ]

Whud can be cheaper than free?

*cough* hardware *cough* *cough*
  7. J2EE vs .NET[ Go to top ]

My fish tank is infested by little Guppies – they reproduce too fast.

While I was looking at the little fishes, something came to my mind:
    “Durability”. And then “natural process of selection”, on which I rely to control fish population in my tank. Followed by does Transactions in .NET rely upon luck-based process of selection or COM+ services? Obviously COM+. So: I code my applications using .NET and rely on COM+ for transactions. Good. Isn't COM going to go away? Interesting, write your code in .NET using COM+, be prepared to change soon as COM will not be support in the times to come.

Right or Wrong????? I hope its right; will always keep my job if I changeover to .NET

8~)

BTW: Look at SUN Fire V100 for price. Its price is as good as Intel PCs and OS far more reliable.
  8. J2EE vs .NET[ Go to top ]

I have no clue why this happens-Those numbers 8220; sorry about that.

Here its again:

My fish tank is infested by little Guppies – they reproduce too fast.

While I was looking at the little fishes, something came to my mind: "Durability". And then "natural process of selection", on which I rely to control fish population in my tank. Followed by does Transactions in .NET rely upon luck-based process of selection or COM+ services? Obviously COM+. So: I code my applications using .NET and rely on COM+ for transactions. Good. Isn't COM going to go away? Interesting, write your code in .NET using COM+, be prepared to change soon as COM will not be support in the times to come.

Right or Wrong????? I hope its right; will always keep my job if I changeover to .NET

8~)

BTW: Look at SUN Fire V100 for price. Its price is as good as Intel PCs and OS far more reliable.
  9. J2EE vs .NET[ Go to top ]

Hardware prices? You must be kidding.

I'll take the same exact hardware you have and run linux + jboss. How much would you have to pay to get a windows OS + software?

10. J2EE vs .NET[ Go to top ]

I'll take the same exact hardware you have and run

>> linux + jboss.

This discussion is going nowhere.

It's about how much you pay for scalability and performance. Check the papers on www.objectwatch.com. Since these are pro-DOT NET, you can contrast these with the ones on this site.

Anyhow, for an enterprise, decisions are often made through other criteria.
  11. J2EE vs .NET[ Go to top ]

COM+ for transactions

A new release of COM+ ships with Windows XP.