logging in a j2ee environment

Discussions

EJB design: logging in a j2ee environment

1. logging in a j2ee environment (3 messages)

We're using websphere as our AppServer. I was searching for some ideas/patterns on logging in a distributed j2ee environment. I found none. I was especially hoping to find some patterns using log4j in this environment.

Any help you can provide will be appreciated...

Thanks

Manish

Threaded Messages (3)

2. logging in a j2ee environment[ Go to top ]

My team is using the Jakarta Commons Logging API.

Commons Logging is a thin API that rides on top of other logging toolkits (Log4j, java.util.logging, etc).

See also:

http://jinx.swiki.net/240

3. logging in a j2ee environment[ Go to top ]

One of our client runs our product on WebSphere. For logging we've chosen to use log4j and that works just fine. I guess for a distributed environment you just end up with a log file on each machine, since writing to the same file might cause unwanted problems. If you go for the new log4j I know they have support JDBC logging, which would solve that problem - albeit be a bit slow?

Fredrik...
  4. logging in a j2ee environment[ Go to top ]

Jakarta LOG4J allows you to set up a network log server and using socket appenders in the distributed app all involved nodes may log to that single log server. We have a setup with 8 RMI servers logging to 2 LOG4J log servers; doing it in J2EE should be easy, too. See the LOG4J docs.