Comparision metrix of different taglib providers

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Comparision metrix of different taglib providers

1. Comparision metrix of different taglib providers (5 messages)

Hi All,

I am doing a comparion between different taglib service providers such as weblogic, apache(struts) and JSTL. Is there any comparion metrix already available??

Many thanks
    Zulfi
  2. jstl is new
  3. You mean performance comparisons? I don't know of any, but I've done some tests of an application using JSTL heavily (Apache implementation) and the performance seemed to compare very well with doing the same work in scriptlets. I was using iteration, output and currency formatting tags, with fairly heavy use of the Expression Language. I'd love to see some figures if anyone has done comparisons.

However, I think it's important to note that JSTL is the way of the future. Struts tags, for example, are likely to be deprecated in favor of the new standard approach. Also JSTL is effectively built into JSP 2.0.

Finally, JSTL is very well designed, very powerful, and the tags are designed to cooperate with application-specific tags. So I'd strongly recommend using JSTL in preference to proprietary alternatives.

In Expert One-On-One J2EE Design and Development I discuss how to use JSTL effectively, and how to integrate any application-specific tags you need with the standard iteration and output tags.
  4. Thanks Rod for the information provided. Currently i am comparing the facilities offered by each one of the taglib provider. Also i am comparing the flexibility, configuration & ease of use. The performance may be my second step.

Cheers
    Zulfi
  5. Zulfi, have you considered publishing an article on this when you're through? This would be very useful information for the community.
  6. Yes i can, but i have to check out with my client's policy regarding that. Sad though.

Cheers
    Zulfi