Integrate JMS into JSP/JavaBean frontend and EJB/JNDI backend

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Integrate JMS into JSP/JavaBean frontend and EJB/JNDI backend

1. I am using weblogic 5.1, jdk1.3.0_02, j2sdkee1.2.1 and a LDAP directory. I have a JSP frontend which talks with a JavaBean or standard java class, which connects to an EJB. The EJB in turn pulls back data from the LDAP directory, sends the data back to the JavaBean, which in turns sets any data and displays the results in the JSP.

I have reached a point where i am making a number of changes to the LDAP directory and want someway of indicating the current status of the update, so instead of using the Javabean/EJB and calling different methods, i want the EJB to send messages back to the JavaBean or standard class by using the Java Messaging Service (JMS) architecture. Can anyone provide me with information as to how i may be able to achieve this? Information about using JMS with weblogic 5.1, how the EJB, JMS classes and JavaBean can interact with eachother withput making it complicated?

thanks
  2. I have a JSP frontend which talks with a JavaBean or

> standard java class, which connects to an EJB. The EJB
    > in turn pulls back data from the LDAP directory, sends
    > the data back to the JavaBean, which in turns sets any
    > data and displays the results in the JSP.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? The usual way of applying these technologies is to have the JSP call the EJB using the JavaBean as a data transfer object. But you seem to have the JavaBean actually managing connections and some of the control flow...
  3. Thank you for replying. Ill try to elaborate a little mroe on my problem. It would be easier explaing all this in a diagram but wont be possible in this thread.

Currently i have the JavaBean doing the lookup and connecting to the EJB. The EJB performs its business function and returns the appro. data. The JavaBean then stores that data in its specific getter and setter methods, which the JSP then calls to display the data to the user.

Once the user has completed a series of JSPs and the application has collated all the relevant data i need the JSP to make the updates to the LDAP directory As it makes the updates, i need the EJB to report back to the client (display some sort of progress bar or a step by step progress list which updates itself) to tell the user where it is upto in the current update process.

I need to use JMS to send messages back to the client to display to the user. I get the EJB to open a connection and create a session which would allow me to send messages back to the client, just saying that it has completed step 1 of 7 and so on. Once it is complete the EJB sends a pass/fail string to the JavaBean which in turn informs the user whether the update was successful or not.

I am not sure how i can get JMS to fit into this JSP/JB/EJB architecture.
  4. Have you tried just flushing HttpServletResponse at the completion of each step?