Evaluation Version of NEW Subject Oriented/PatternTool Released

Discussions

Industry news: Evaluation Version of NEW Subject Oriented/PatternTool Released

1. SodaPop is a brand new methodology that leverages a new development strategy known as grey-box component development, which constructs components through source code composition across their designs. This enables developers to write programs as subject oriented components, and then merge two different source trees (as patterns) across their designs (the subjects). The purpose of this tool was to simplify the design and development process, increase the ability of developers to work collaboratively across large or small distances, and to increase the reusability of code. SodaPop requires only standard Java source, so it is fully backwards compatible, and only creates standard Java programs from the union of individual source trees (think of the branch-and-merge paradigm used in version control systems, but instead of merging text SodaPop does so over the code's design; in essence, this is the equivalent of having reusable project milestones).

Our tool features:
    - simple reverse engineering of source viewable as a tree or diagram
    - tracking of code across pattern composition
    - a new class of refactorings called collaborative refactorings

We invite anyone and everyone out there to look over our tool and approach and then give us their feedback. We also have a technical overview and longer white paper available for download on our site that describes both the rudiments and details of the SodaPop tool and methodology.

We look forward to hearing from you,

The SoCaseTools, Inc. Team
  2. I looked at your white paper and could not stop the AOP lightbulb from flashing in my head ("join points", "grey box", etc). I'm unlikely to be the only one who finds this button being pushed a few times.

Some comparison/contrast between subjects & aspects, and your technology and the likes of AspectJ, is warranted. AOP is now at the point of critical mass, and since SOP appears to be so similar we need to know how/where/if it fits in. I couldn't find that information in your paper or on the website...