Point-to-point SSL connection

Discussions

General J2EE: Point-to-point SSL connection

1. Point-to-point SSL connection (3 messages)

Hi all

In my project, I need to use SSL, however, there is a server at the middle that connects to the Internet and I want to make a point-to-point SSL connection with the Internet client through that middle server. The following is the network configuration of the system.

Server A is the server that proccesses the data and it has no internet connection.
    Server B is connected with Server A with a leased line and it has internet connection, so that client with Internet access can connect to it.
    Client uses the Internet and connects to Server A through Server B.

Now I want to know if it is possible that Client can make a point-to-point SSL connection to Server A because I don't want my data to be decrypted by Server B.

Thank you !

Edmond

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Point-to-point SSL connection[ Go to top ]

As long a Client A and Server B can make a TCP/IP connection, SSL will be secure from end to end.

So, if Server A is routing the traffic to Server B via TCP/IP (using Network Address Translation or something similar), you are fine. Unless you have a strange setup, this is probably the case.

If Server A is performing more advanced routing, or there is some kind of firewall involved blocking general TCP/IP traffic to Server B, then you may have problems.
  3. Point-to-point SSL connection[ Go to top ]

As long a Client A and Server B can make a TCP/IP connection, SSL will be >>secure from end to end.

>>So, if Server A is routing the traffic to Server B via TCP/IP (using Network >>Address Translation or something similar), you are fine. Unless you have a >>strange setup, this is probably the case.

I don't really get it (Did you get mixed up with Server A and Server B?). I want Internet Client A make a point-to-point SSL connection with Server A. However, Server A doesn't have internet access and the server has internet access is Server B. Server B is connected to Server A with a leased line (Server A possibly only has a private IP address) and how can the Internet Client A makes a point-to-point SSL connection with Server A? I don't want to Client A makes a SSL connection with Server B, then Server B makes a SSL connection with Server A and forward the data from Client A to Server A. This is because Server B would have decrypted the data.

Thanks for your help!

Edmond
  4. Point-to-point SSL connection[ Go to top ]

Whoops! Sorry, I did mix up Server A and Server B. Here is the corrected explanation.

As long a Client A and Server A can make a TCP/IP connection, SSL will be secure from end to end.

So, if Server B is routing the traffic to Server A via TCP/IP (using Network Address Translation or something similar), you are fine. Unless you have a strange setup, this is probably the case.

If Server B is performing more advanced routing, or there is some kind of firewall involved blocking general TCP/IP traffic to Server A, then you may have problems.

To sum up: unless you have a weird network setup, you are probably OK.