which is the best technology to make online shopping cart?

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: which is the best technology to make online shopping cart?

1. Hello

Is it java(JSP, Javabean, Servlets), j2ee(EJB-3tier) & which best database is suited? If plan in advance than time is saved.

Awaiting reply at the earliest.

Thanking in advance.

Regards
    Paresh
  2. Like most thing it all depends on the complexity of your shopping cart systems.
    Many people might say use EJB because of the built-in transactional support. But I’d personally use a simple 3 tier – Struts, JavaBeans, Servlets . You might want to add ORM if you feel the need and get tired of writing the mundane JDBC code.
  3. I would suggest you to use Struts framework for web and EJB for doing your cart business logic. If you use EJB, you can utilize most of the benefits of J2ee container services. The extendability is more. For the database, I would use Oracle.
  4. We set out a long time ago to address this very topic when planning our Java shopping cart product, Elastic Path. Our users were demanding simplicity so we said no to EJB. It has too much overhead and complexity for 99% of ecommerce initiatives out there. We decided to use Hibernate so we could support pretty much every major proprietary database and the major open source DB's as well. We also used Struts and Velocity, but because of the tiered architecture some of our customers who prefer say JSP for the presentation layer have easily swapped it in.

I know this is a late post, but I just stumbled upon it - all the best. I hope your ecommerce project has been successful!