Should I use J2EE?

Discussions

General J2EE: Should I use J2EE?

1. Should I use J2EE? (2 messages)

Hi, I haven't been using J2EE for very long and have just started a new job. The people here are saying that they have no need for J2EE because they write code that usually has no GUI front end.

I am currently writing an application to access a Web Service, process the data, send some Corba messages, and update a database. There is no gui front end, the app just needs to run on a timer and access the Web Service once a minute. I would like to use J2EE (JBoss) since I am familiar with it. Do I even need to use J2EE for this app? I was thinking of writing a session bean to do the processing and maybe an entity bean to hold the persistent data. How would the session bean get initiated?

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Threaded Messages (2)

2. Should I use J2EE?[ Go to top ]

hi jan,

J2EE has nothing to do with GUI, but if you are really interested in implementing EJBs to do the same work i think "yes" you can. Well even I am new to EJBs and working on it since 3 months. And JBOSS....that's the best J2EE app server i've used till now.

Well...to get session bean initiated u've to write an application client which invokes the EJB(s) on timer basis....or a cron job/service kind of thing. Your client need not to be a GUI :)

Hope this will help you out.

cheers
    Ketan "Ŧĥē Đãĕmőŋ"
  3. Should I use J2EE?[ Go to top ]

Hi, I haven't been using J2EE for very long and have just started a new job. The people here are saying that they have no need for J2EE because they write code that usually has no GUI front end.
    This looks like a great use of J2EE, but here are some conserns.

1) What language(s) does your company currently use?
    2) What resources other than yourself will be working on this project?

If you choose to do with a J2EE solution take a look at Quartz Scheduler