IIT provides SwiftMQ 2.0.0 - Scalability Release -

Discussions

News: IIT provides SwiftMQ 2.0.0 - Scalability Release -

1. IIT PROVIDES SWIFTMQ 2.0.0 - SCALABILITY RELEASE -

BREMEN/GERMANY -- FEBRUARY 2nd 2001 -- Today, the German-based IIT GmbH announced the production release of the version 2.0.0 of its free JMS system SwiftMQ. This version, indicated as Scalability Release, now contains native I/O support for Linux and Solaris platforms, reliable IP-multicast between SwiftMQ routers as well as Cascading Flow-Control.

According to Andreas Müller, IIT's Managing Director, native I/O is reasonable if more than 500 competing connections should be handled by only one SwiftMQ router. Java does not offer a non-blocking I/O and thus needs at least one thread per connection to read from the respective input stream. Because of the new native select/poll based I/O, there is only one thread needed for accepting connections and transferring data out of the respective input streams to the SwiftMQ kernel. Through this it is possible to serve thousands of concurrent connections by only one single SwiftMQ router.

SwiftMQ router messages might be interchanged by the reliable IP-multicast, sent via the publish/subscribe message model of JMS clients. The interchange is done as a so-called broadcast where the message is sent only once via the network and may be received by all SwiftMQ routers connected to the network. The interchange via reliable IP-multicast takes place transparent
    to the JMS clients exclusively between the participating SwiftMQ routers. JMS clients are connected via TCP/IP connections
    to the routers. Thus, the full range of the JMS API is available. This is a big advantage over so-called "serverless" JMS implementations which realize IP-multicast between JMS clients, because in this case, neither durable subscriber nor JMS transactions may be used.

SwiftMQ enables message backbones with an unlimited number of SwiftMQ routers by reliable IP-multicast. Separate sub-networks, connected by network routers which are not IP-multicast configured, may easily be connected together by SwiftMQ gateway routers which exchange the messages by a TCP/IP routing connection.

Cascading flow control describes the synchronization of senders and receivers by a SwiftMQ router. The throughput of messages is measured successively and senders are throttled down to the throughput rate of the respective receivers. If sender and receiver are connected by several intermediate SwiftMQ routers, flow control cascades via all concerned routers to establish a constant message stream with a maximum throughput beyond a SwiftMQ router network.

"Our effort in making a financial application server required a very demanding, reliable and scalable messaging platform. SwiftMQ 2.x was an ideal choice. Its impressive performance, conformance to the JMS specification, support of non-blocking sockets and its federated architecture made it a clear winner. Its our choice for a next generation messaging infrastructure.", says Dennis Lamantia, CEO of New Dawn Solutions, Inc.

SwiftMQ 2.0.0 is available for download at http://www.swiftmq.com

About SwiftMQ

SwiftMQ is the industry's first and only FREE standalone JMS enterprise messaging system. It fully implements both the point-to-point as well as the publish/subscribe message model of the latest Java Message Service (JMS) specification 1.0.2. Entirely designed as a federation of message routers, SwiftMQ provides the possibility to setup any router topology. SwiftMQ is an all-in-one enterprise messaging solution that requires no third-party products such as a database system or a JNDI server. Due to filesystem based persistent message stores, high-optimized communication and serialization protocols and compression on message base, SwiftMQ is one of the fastest JMS messaging solutions worldwide. Native I/O support, reliable IP multicast, cascading flow control, efficient threadpooling capabilities, and the worldwide unique federated router network enables enterprises to serve tens of thousands concurrent connections with a superior performance.

About IIT

Founded in 1990, IIT offers since more than 10 years high-quality consulting and support within the high-level IT-sector. Since the release of SwiftMQ, which is worldwide the only free of charge implementation of the JMS API, IIT belongs to the accepted expert companies concerning this sector.

2. I read about SwiftMQ and I found their native IO approach very interesting.

Does anybody have some performance benchmark info comparing Swift with other MQ servers (Fioranno, MQSeries, Sonic, BEA , etc)?

thanks