Critical measures in J2EE Project Management

Discussions

News: Critical measures in J2EE Project Management

1. Critical measures in J2EE Project Management (9 messages)

Ed Roman's J2EE project management article is now available. The article "is a brief collection of J2EE-specific project management best practices, along with links to external resources that you should be considering in your J2EE project. They are taken from real-world experiences, and are intended to help you build J2EE systems"

Read Article Here
  2. Well, I guess it looks like a short incomplete version of the already published chapter by Scottt Ambler.

I guess it should have been a little differnt, a long version should have been debated here, while a short and concise version should have been left for the "Mastering EJB" book.

Am I wrong ?

3. Costin,

You are correct in noticing that the article is based on the Mastering EJB Chapter. However it is meant as a shorter summary of the 73 page chapter from the EJB book, not a 'incomplete version'. The cup is half full, not half empty. :)

You can debate the long version in the Mastering EJB II review forum if you like. We posted this article here to inform the public, not necessarily for debate purposes.

Floyd
  4. Well, yes, it doesn't need to be debated if you think
    it gets everything wright :)

The real danger is exactly what you mentioned, to "inform the public" either with the article, or with the chapter.

Instead of having a really serious consideration on such a delicate and much debated topic, or just referring to the real books and web sites on the subject.

Project management and software process issues are far more subttle than it is shown either in the short article or in the full chapter.

Just a sample of how lightely the article debates issues is how it advise the novice on the decision to jump into J2EE.
    And how do you decide ?
    You only have to visit theserverside.com, middlewarecompany, and the now long outdated debates between Ed Roman and Roger Sessions.

Costin
  5. This is a short, consise and beautiful article and I was able to relate every experience of mine to a just completed J2EE project.
    I feel that the hybrid model is best suited for quality results in a medium sized project (consisting of 20-25 members and spanning over 6-7 months). It also fosters great passion in ones work and if implemented properly it fosters a good learning experience for all.
    Please could I have your comments on the same Mr. Ed Roman.
    regards,
    Vijay Narayanan
    (vijay dot narayanan at lycos dot com)
  6. One of the problems I feel with J2EE Application development, in fact Web Application development is that it is not geared towards aligning the site to the business. For example, the Online Presence should be an extension of the business and a way increase brand awareness, measure Return on Investment and effective customer management. I would be nice if you can outline and tackle some of this issues. Majority of online businesses we have seen in the past year have gone online just for the sake of it. Look whats happened to them today.

Secondly, I wish you could see beyond Choosing an Application Server to Choosing An E-Business Platform. Nowadays customers should be more interested in the business components that ship in addition to the Application Server. J2EE will soon become another checkbox.

Finally, the reason why you believe its a myth that J2EE components do not acheive high re-use is an Organisation and industry problem which is easily tackled. How many J2EE Projects have most people worked on that do any Function Point Counting ? Problem is everyone thinks they know the best way of doing something without checking if someones done it before. How does the Organisation benefit or save money if we all continue to behave like this ?
  7. I liked the paper. It is pretty concise and to-the-point!
  8. Excellent Article, concise and to the point. Links provided are good and informative.

9.  Nice People, i can´t get my hands on the article
    mentioned.

It supposededly points here ...

> https://www2.theserverside.com/resources/ProjectManagement.jsp

> But i only get this :

Error 404--Not Found
    From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:
    10.4.5 404 Not Found
    The server has not found anything matching the Request-URI. No indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or permanent.
    If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 403 (Forbidden) can be used instead. The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address.

Please , i *really* want to read the article ...

:-(

yanko.
  10. The linking format of our articles have changed. Sorry about the inconvenience.

The new link is:

https://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=Project-Management