Xvfb on Solaris with French Characters

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Xvfb on Solaris with French Characters

1. Xvfb on Solaris with French Characters (1 messages)

Hi all,

I have a problem that our system administrators have been trying to solve for awhile now... I created a servlet that will dynamically query our database for some data values that are rendered as points on a graph using Sitraka's JClass Chart component. I then take a snapshot of the rendered graph and write it out as a gif file to disk. This gif is then display in the body of a HTML page using an IMG tag referencing the gif file on disk. We are using Xvfb as the virtual frame buffer to support a "headless" environment on the Solaris server (this works fine on NT of course).

Our problem is this:

It works fine for English text but the French accented characters are not displaying properly... they are being replaced by characters that look like jibberish. I have a strong feeling that the fonts installed on the Solaris system don't support French or accented characters as in the logs there are errors relating to not being able to find the fonts, ie:

Font specified in font.properties not found [-b&h-lucida sans-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1]
    Font specified in font.properties not found [-urw-itc zapfdingbats-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-sun-fontspecific]
    Font specified in font.properties not found [-urw-itc zapfdingbats-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-sun-fontspecific]
    Font specified in font.properties not found [-b&h-lucida bright-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1]
    Font specified in font.properties not found [-b&h-lucida sans-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1]
    Font specified in font.properties not found [-b&h-lucida bright-medium-i-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
    ]Font specified in font.properties not found [-b&h-lucida sans-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1]
    Font specified in font.properties not found [-b&h-lucida sans-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1]

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg.
  2. if your problem is on the servlet side, I don't know. But I ran into a similar problem once. Some databases, especially Oracle, use different default character sets on different operating systems. So when I was running the application on Windows NT, it worked fine, but when we ported to Solaris, the Oracle default install is a different language set (but only slightly), the application broke down.

This probably doesn't help you. But, just a thought. On the application side I don't know how to help you with that one. Just make sure that all of the tools you're using support the right character sets.

-Newt