What the heck was that at the end of the JavaOne Technical Keynote?

Discussions

News: What the heck was that at the end of the JavaOne Technical Keynote?

1. What on earth happened at the end of the September 28th JavaOne Technical Keynote

Java Language Architect Brian Goetz is always the true headliner at all of these events. Love him or hate him, every Java developer wants to know what's going through Goetz' head, because what's going through his head is more likely than not going to end up in the next version of the language. Lambdas, generics, value types: Goetz' fingerprints are all over that stuff. Which is why, along with his clear enthusiasm for what he does, people seek out the keynotes and sessions in which he participates.

"Sorry, I'd love to hear the rest of the story, but unfortunately, we're out of time."

But something a little strange happened at the end of the JavaOne Technical Keynote. Brian was starting to talk about some neat new Java 10 features, features that would help minimize cache misses and map data better to the underlying hardware, when Mark Reinhold, Chief Architect of the Java Platform, tells Goetz to speed up. Thirty seconds later, just as Goetz starts ramping up, Reinhold just pats Brian on the shoulder, takes the two remote control devices for moving between slides out of Brian's hands, and says "Sorry, I'd love to hear the rest of the story, but unfortunately, we're out of time." Brian says okay, the crowd gives a half sigh and a half laugh, and a few moments of awkward silence ensues. It actually looked like a setup for a joke of some kind. I think the audience was just sitting there waiting for the Java mascot Duke to jump through the presentation screen. The crowd just remained silent, Reinhold flashed a disclaimer message on the presentation screen, and then the two walked off stage. It was seriously weird.

I've been to a lot of conferences before, and none of them ever run on time. That's just the nature of the beast. Some presentations run late, some go short, and by the end of the day, it never balances out, but that gets dealt with. I've never seen a speaker get so abruptly cut short. Who knows what the reasons were, but it really wasn't cool. Brian Goetz deserves better than that, and so does the audience with whom Brian is a fan favorite. It wasn't cool.

JavaOne Technical Keynote

Edited by: Cameron McKenzie on Sep 30, 2014 8:48 PM

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Wrong name spelling[ Go to top ]

Isn't his name Goetz (not Geotz)?

3. With all the tech guys "we could do this",and "add this feature", and "fix this bug" and suddenly Reinhold "Shut up: We're going to release Java 8 now!"

;-)

Too bad that was the most interesting part of the presentation: How the hell are they going to reduce pointers in arrays....

4. lol ;-)

5. But what was it?[ Go to top ]

Based on the subject of this post I thought you had some input.  Does anybody know?  Where are the Java journalist?